Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 16, 2010, 4:51 PM   #1

Default Photos from my new E-PL1

Just got my new (reconditioned) E-PL1 and kit lens only went for a walk down South Congress Ave. in Austin after dark. Here are a few shots, straight from the camera. JPEG, ISO usu. 1250. Handheld. Needless to say, I'm impressed with what the camera can do.

A couple aren't quite straight, and I've blown the highlights in some, but there are two or three that I thought turned out really well right out of the camera.

I also, surprisingly, really like the camera's "Grainy B&W" artistic mode... something I never thought I would ever say. But it's pretty close to what I would do in PP without me having to open a computer!

Love to hear your thoughts.

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2010, 6:21 PM   #2

Very nice color on number 3, is there right out of the camera unedited?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:34 PM   #3

my thoughts of using the camera's own "editing" settings would be never to use them. It is better to do the PP on the comp afterward (even if it does take a bit of time) because "once you go black, you can't go back". If you realize that a picture you took with the B&W/grainy setting would look better in color and sharp, you're screwed/ But if you have a sharp colored photo, you can easily do whatever you want with it, and play with settings.

Its my opinion that the post editing is just as important as physically taking the picture. combining the two, only leads to headaches..

ok, now im done ranting.

you mentioned some of the issues in your own post, and i agree with them. Also, pic 3's sky is pretty noisy which detracts from the foreground.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:39 PM   #4

For black and white shots, I complete agree that it is generally better to do it afterward.

But for not art filter shooting, the olympus has such a great jpeg engine. It will require allot of RAW editing to match it for normal shooting.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 2:14 AM   #5

I also agree with Eric. I think it'e best to always shoot highest res and lowest compression, and color. In pp. you can do what you want. If you shoot it in b&w, you're stuck with it.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 4:49 PM   #6

For straight out of the camera they are all high quality shots sharp, clear and low in noise
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:07 PM   #7

Thanks everyone.

I know that it's (almost) always best to do PP on the computer. And I was lazy. And I know that once you capture B&W in the camera, you can never go back... which is why I have never used them, up until this point. But these are surprisingly good, I thought.

Yes, No. 3 was right out of the camera, on "vivid" color settings. It was a little noisy, but at ISO 1600 (I think that's what that one was), it's pretty dang good.

Thanks again for the comments all.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:30 PM   #8

Olympus does have the best jpeg engine on the market. I find myself not need to edit allot of the shots out of the EPL-1.

shooting at 1600iso, if you can give up on a little detail, you can up the noise reduction at 1600-2000iso.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 2:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
my thoughts of using the camera's own "editing" settings would be never to use them. It is better to do the PP on the comp afterward (even if it does take a bit of time) because "once you go black, you can't go back". If you realize that a picture you took with the B&W/grainy setting would look better in color and sharp, you're screwed/ But if you have a sharp colored photo, you can easily do whatever you want with it, and play with settings.

Its my opinion that the post editing is just as important as physically taking the picture. combining the two, only leads to headaches..

ok, now im done ranting.

you mentioned some of the issues in your own post, and i agree with them. Also, pic 3's sky is pretty noisy which detracts from the foreground.
I think the "art filters" are only applied to the jpeg files, leaving the RAW files unaltered if you choose to use the "RAW+JPEG" setting.
DGard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 3:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGard View Post
I think the "art filters" are only applied to the jpeg files, leaving the RAW files unaltered if you choose to use the "RAW+JPEG" setting.
Oh that's worth trying out! Great tip!