Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:44 AM   #1

Default So close, yet...

Working with the new camera, and saw an opportunity to try some things out. I took a series of photos, of which this was the best, IMO. Trying to capture the relationship between the baby bird learning to fly (first out of the nest) and Vincent, my wife's cat.

What could I have done to make this better? Thanks! (Yes, I do need to cut my back lawn, and no, every photo I post will not have a cat in it. )
Attached Images

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
daveleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:28 PM   #2

I really like the idea. The only thing that might have improved it to my mind is to have taken it with a wide-enough angle lens that the cat's outline could have been in-focus too.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 1:01 PM   #3

Good point. Thanks. A wall was right behind me, so this was taken near the 18mm range with my Canon T1i kit lens. I could have backed up some, though, and gotten more of the cat.

Regarding framing the body of the cat, how would you set it up to allow for the contrast between the dark inside and bright outside? Is there a good way to do that without using a graduated ND (GND) filter?
Old Jul 20, 2010, 2:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleau View Post
Regarding framing the body of the cat, how would you set it up to allow for the contrast between the dark inside and bright outside? Is there a good way to do that without using a graduated ND (GND) filter?
Personally, I like the idea of just the outline of the cat's head. I think it is a more effective image than a properly-lighted cat here -- the danger of the cat in the dark captures the idea better than a well-lit calico would. It's just that I'd like the outline to be sharp. Of course, YMMV.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 6:01 PM   #5

Gotcha. I played with the focus in some of the other pics, but they didn't look as interesting. I do think a sharp focus would have been better. Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:05 PM   #6

As said before, interesting shot, I agree...I would try a bit more contrast and saturation though...Your post seems a bit flat..
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote