Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:04 AM   #1

Default A fun comparison for critique

I had a fun opportunity to do a little system comparison yesterday. The Systems were a Canon 7D with the new EF 70-200mm F2.8 L IS II USM, and the Sony A-700 with the 70-200mm F2.8 G.

These are not scientific comparisons, they are just for fun. There are three different comparisons to entertain you and generate some conversation if you wish.

There is no editing other then resizing, converting raw to jpeg and cropping the minimum and infinity focus comparisons to similar sizes.

Feel free to critique any differences in lens IQ, cameras or even my way of comparison.

The first comparison is just a regular portrait shot at 200mm and f/2.8. The model was around 10 to 12 feet away and shots where handheld.

The left photo is the Canon, Sony on the right. The Canon was set to 0ev and the Sony is -03ev. this was accidental, other wise I tried my best to make all settings the same.
Attached Images

Last edited by lomitamike; Jul 30, 2010 at 12:24 AM.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:17 AM   #2

Next is the minimum focus distance at 200mm and F2.8. I manually focused to minimum focus then moved the tripod forward and back until minimum focus was found. I cropped these quite a bit trying to make the field of view close to the same.

Something to take into consideration is the Canons 1.6 crop factor and the Sony's 1.5 crop factor. The Sony required a little more cropping to match the Canon.

The Canon is on top, Sony on the bottom. A tripod was used with 2 second timer.
Attached Images

Last edited by lomitamike; Jul 30, 2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:23 AM   #3

Last is 200mm F2.8 focused to infinity. Again I cropped these quite a bit while trying to get the same field of view. I used a tripod with 2 second delay and did my best to keep all settings the same.

Canon on top Sony on bottom.

Just for Fun
Attached Images

Last edited by lomitamike; Jul 30, 2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:37 AM   #4

These are two great systems and are both more then adequate for most, me included. I'm just lucky to be able to have these systems to play with.

The Canon lens is a little wider/fatter then the Sony. They are both about the same length and the Canon focuses faster then the Sony.

No real complaints with either system, they both performed great, but I would give the overall system performance edge (camera/lens) to the Canon. The only minor complaint with the Canon is the focus ring had a grinding feel while manual focusing.

Last edited by lomitamike; Jul 30, 2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 1:59 AM   #5

I prefer the focusing of the Canon shot of the woman, as well as the difference in exposure. Also the hair has the light coming through it to filter the light on the side of her face. Her face is completely in focus as opposed to the Sony shot which has moved your DOF further back so her nose is OOF but everything else is in focus.
I also prefer the Canon shot of the eaves to the Sony shot. It has better exposure thus better more realistic color, and not washed out. Did both cameras have the same EV? If so this would account for it. The middle shot of the V I only see a slight color shift with less yellow in the Sony version. Again was the EV the same or as per that of the shots of the woman?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 4:20 AM   #6

I will say(with my amateur eye) that the Canon images looks crisper than the Sony's.
If you look at the second set of photos at the shadow that's being cast by the small triangle in the middle, you will see the small "hair lines" on the shadow as much clearer lines on the Canon photo.

Regards.
Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
I prefer the focusing of the Canon shot of the woman, as well as the difference in exposure. Also the hair has the light coming through it to filter the light on the side of her face. Her face is completely in focus as opposed to the Sony shot which has moved your DOF further back so her nose is OOF but everything else is in focus.
I also prefer the Canon shot of the eaves to the Sony shot. It has better exposure thus better more realistic color, and not washed out. Did both cameras have the same EV? If so this would account for it. The middle shot of the V I only see a slight color shift with less yellow in the Sony version. Again was the EV the same or as per that of the shots of the woman?
Bynx

The first set of photos the Sony had -03 exposure while the Canon was at 0 exposure. I didn't mean to do that. The remaining shots were both cameras at 0 exposure, center weighted metering and center focus point and at F2.8

On the portrait it could have been a difference in what I did because they were hand held and I did move to put one camera down and grab the other then sit back down. I tried to focus on the eye.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 5:22 AM   #8

The only thing you can infer about focus is that the Canon is slightly front focused wheras the Sony is slightly back focused.
The DOF in the Portrait is just over an inch. The Canon may have the nose tip in focus but the earring is OOF.
In the second set the DOF is maybe 1/10th of an inch.
You can say that the Canon has more resolution but with 18MP against 12MP, you know that already.
The colours look more realistic on the Sony.
Peekayoh is offline   Reply With Quote