Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 3, 2010, 2:27 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 31
Default Picture in US Open of Surfing

This was my first time going to surfing event and it was fun.
I have shot 900+ photos in 2 hours.

So far, this is my best shot. Could you give me some comment please?

Anguslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2010, 3:33 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Neil Wharton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 678
Default

really nice but its lacking in detail in the face but the rest is spot on
Neil Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:20 AM   #3
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

Neil pretty much nailed it - you did well at everything but exposure. When you are tight on a subject like that you need to expose for faces, not water.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 10:22 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Walter C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Huntington Beach, CA USA
Posts: 7,798
Default

I live just down the street from the HB pier and have taken 100s of surfing shots. Since the sun is not out until late morning, you often get these types of overhead lighting shots. You might try a psudo-HDR of your shot to bring out some details in the face.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 10:48 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Ordo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BsAs
Posts: 3,452
Default

Nice shot. Highlight the face and hands a little:

Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 2:49 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Neil pretty much nailed it - you did well at everything but exposure. When you are tight on a subject like that you need to expose for faces, not water.
John, thank you for your comment! Let me try in coming weekend.

But it seems my lens is not fast enough to catch those fast moving subject.
Anguslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 2:49 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 31
Default

Ordo, you rock! This looks a lot better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Nice shot. Highlight the face and hands a little:

Anguslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 2:57 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C View Post
I live just down the street from the HB pier and have taken 100s of surfing shots. Since the sun is not out until late morning, you often get these types of overhead lighting shots. You might try a psudo-HDR of your shot to bring out some details in the face.
I'm missing the California sunshine!
There is fog in the morning. We have this weather for a month already. It is nice weather but I don't think it is good for shooting photos.
Anguslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 6:21 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Walter C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Huntington Beach, CA USA
Posts: 7,798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguslam View Post
I'm missing the California sunshine!
There is fog in the morning. We have this weather for a month already. It is nice weather but I don't think it is good for shooting photos.
It's getting better with more sun earlier in the AM. Should be in the mid- to upper 70's this week. Just be glad you aren't back East with triple-digit temps. All we need now is some bigger waves!
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 PM.