Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:22 PM   #1

Default New to photgraphy...what do you think of these photos? Tips?

I've just been playing around with photography for the last few years. I would like to do some freelance stuff on the side, but I'm wondering if these pics would be something to put into a portfolio or not.

What do you think about this pics? As you can see, I like playing around with photoshop and the different scene settings on my Cannon S5IS.

What do you think? Any tips or advice??

Thanks

Last edited by IQRaceworks; Aug 3, 2010 at 11:24 PM.
IQRaceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2010, 1:47 AM   #2

i love #9

it just seems to fit.
the use of the blue has caught my eye

Last edited by tracar; Aug 4, 2010 at 2:34 AM.
tracar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 9:31 AM   #3

got some nice images there but i think you have gone over the top with selective colouring
Neil Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 9:49 AM   #4

Terrifics shots and I think the selective colouring is just great
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 8:11 PM   #5

I like them, very interesting.
rlewis0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 8:56 PM   #6

Its not so much your photographic skills you are showing but your Photoshop skills and your artistic eye. The latter two are pretty good.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Its not so much your photographic skills you are showing but your Photoshop skills and your artistic eye. The latter two are pretty good.
Actually, all of the selective color shots were all done on my camera. The S5Si has a scene setting for it.

The only think I did in photoshop was just sharpen up an image a little, or maybe adjust the saturation a little.
IQRaceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:48 PM   #8

So then you are showing us a feature of your camera. Nice camera.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2010, 3:44 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks View Post
I've just been playing around with photography for the last few years. I would like to do some freelance stuff on the side, but I'm wondering if these pics would be something to put into a portfolio or not.

What do you think about this pics? As you can see, I like playing around with photoshop and the different scene settings on my Cannon S5IS.

What do you think? Any tips or advice??

Thanks
I will leave individual photo critique alone but will say that in general for a portfolio I would only go for one at most selective colour shot, you need to show a varied style and also I would suggest being able to do it on PP rather than the camera as you won't always be using this camera. Actually for a pro freelance job I would suggest that you don't use anything less than a dSLR as you need to be able to get the shot in the conditions specified by the client which could mean low light, subject isolation required etc that can't be done with your Canon. It's a nice camera for sure but not for pro work. Actually you will really want 2 cameras when going out on a job with backup lenses, flash (off camera will be a must if using flash) etc etc.

The next thing to look at is how do your images compare to people already in the market. You need to get jobs and to do so you need to be at the right level. Your portfolio needs to be very strong to compete in what is now a tough world. I would suggest doing a Google for freelance photographers and see what you come up with. Here are a couple that I found to get you started.

http://www.11thstudio.com/#portfolio/1.jpg
http://www.edwardmoss.co.uk/#
Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:26 PM   #10
Super Moderator

i also do not care much for the selective color shots. besides maybe the fire engine one. though i would clone out the guys arm on the left.

the first shot almost works, but its too tight, if you are trying to display the bike, get it all in there. and lose the extra stuff on the left.

you have worked with some interesting angles here, and that is good. some worked some did not. keep at it, keep experimenting.

but work on your photographic skills, and composing a shot to make it interesting, rather than using some "camera/photoshop tricks" to make it so.