Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 5, 2010, 9:38 PM   #11

First off, Thanks all for checking this out and aiding me in this, what I call, quest

Pbjunkiee -- Thanks a lot for the tip on the flash ! I wonder though, if there's anything in particular that I will be "missing out" on by not purchasing a Nikon SB-600? I checked out ebay and there's a LOT of yn-460 II going every day it seems =)
And also, I try to keep as close to 1.8 as I can without "ruining" the dish with too much depth of field or missing out on a particular part of the food that might be too out of focus, but so far 1.8 or 2.0 have both been great to work with.

Ordo -- hehe, yes, I'm well aware of the level of difficulty going into taking pictures on this turf I'm trying getting a wide variety of dishes.. It all depends on what my customers are eating I'll start scouting for some common things that I might be able to get to maybe stand out, hopefully.
And also, thanks for that link, was a great read

Neil and Scouse-- Ok, I'll try and getting a better vantage point for a new take on that shot.. It's a popular dish, so there won't be any problem getting it I'm sure.

Here is our locally famous Skagen Toast

A shot of the bar area.. The latter overlooking the main dining room

Flikkaarrrr

Last edited by Acapulco; Aug 8, 2010 at 8:02 PM.
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:01 PM   #12

Here is yet another "which one"... It's our 3 Variations of Chocolate Dessert... So we have a Darkchocolate Soufflé with a Milkchocolate pyramid and a Whitechocolate- and Malibu Mousse.. The question is, which one to highlight..What do you think?

Here is another dessert; a Wild Strawberry Bavaroise

The rest here is basically "posing" shots or "faked", whatever you might wanna call it

Flikkaarrrr
Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:10 PM   #13

Now THAT is how you do it, awesome job !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:31 PM   #14

Thanks pb!!
I cannot believe how sharp this lens is...for the amount of money spent ($260) this lens is just unbelievable sometimes ! On many reviews there was some concerns regarding it's sharpness @ f1,8 , but as you can see on the two last shots, there's absolutely nothing wrong with sharpness... No PP except changing the white balance (warm lightning made it too warm) and also.. Every shot is handheld since there's no room for a tripod.
When will I ever use my other lenses now? (just kidding, but not far from it)
I just wanna say one thing and that is, everybody should definetly consider this lens. Sure, I haven't used it outside of the restaurant as of yet, but I'm sure it will still blow my mind.

Flikkaarrrr
Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:42 PM   #15

Ahhh how i love primes
Old Aug 6, 2010, 6:10 AM   #16

No expert here, that's for sure, but I'm chock full of opinion. I saw too much out-of-focus in the pics. And the one with the red globes at the top...just looked weird. with in-focus at the bottom and top, but not middle. I'd suggest major cropping (or get closer), get a couple of wireless flashes and get MORE light for greater DOF. or just stop way down and use a longer exposure. The pic with the blackberry in a little cup looked good. That one had the oof area a little darker.

I'm not, but if I were, I would look at published magazines re: the culinary arts. I just did a google image search for "culinary". There's plenty of pics that "work" and many that don't. One more suggestion...hold off on arty till you get the basics down. No tilted plates please.

Keep it going tho. As others have said, you've taken on a very difficult photographic task. Your skills will improve and eventually, i hope, you get the results you want and need.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 7:55 PM   #17

Haven't had time to take new pictures unfortunately... Work is "getting in the way" :P
Today I had plenty of time though... But of course, I forgot the stupid camera at home. And of course, with my luck, we had the most amazing sundown of this year. The colors was spectacular. I actually called out the staff just so that we could enjoy the sun setting.

Here's another shot of the Anglerfish from the first day of shooting. Fixed the WB, cropped and some sharpening.

Flikkaarrrr

Last edited by Acapulco; Aug 8, 2010 at 7:59 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:02 AM   #18

That first one has a 'way' beter angle to show off the food, I like it but you have to do better with the DOF though. Tilted plates don't work, takes the eye and mind off the primary issue "showing the food". That last one, first post, looks like you're selling concrete blocks...crop it.The spoon into the pan might have been better focussed on the spoon and less at the pan.

Like the way you're working at developing your 'genre'. Keep at it, you've got good basic instincts and are willing to work and learn.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 3:40 PM   #19

my opinion is if your photographing food then we need to see the food, so id go with a wider DOF, i like the angles though, very creative
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:13 PM   #20

Thanks for your input Scouse, they help alot. The thing that makes it difficult is lack of working space for just photography. Every photo of food is taken while still being inside the kitchen and as I've stated before, it's a tiny kitchen.
My source for lightning is very restricted and that hinders my DOF being greater than it is. Working with no flash because I don't have a external I don't want to use flash at all, the built-in really can't give anything in these situations. And also no tripod makes it really difficult without using ISO 1600 which is really not what I want to. All that colorful food + D50 body with ISO 1600 is nothing I want to even try out.

Im sure that I would have been able to deliver a lot better photos if I was strictly taking photos while at the restaurant or having any equipment and more experience.
This is done while working my reguar shift and I really don't have any time running around taking photos to be honest.
I'll tell you all what I had time for today.
Got to work 5pm and worked to midnight. During this shift I had 1 break and that was at 10:45pm-11pm. I got 5 photos taken in total over the day. That's generally how much time I get every day, and so, getting enough time when the food has been plated and I have to get my camera, get an angle and check for the correct ISO, what aperture and everything, I still have to call out the food.

Anyway... Thanks for your input

Flikkaarrrr

Last edited by Acapulco; Aug 10, 2010 at 8:30 PM.