Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:22 PM   #1

Default Taking promotional shots for my workplace -- Restaurant

Hey.. I just got my Nikkor 35mm f1.8 the other day and have started taking pictures in around my workplace which might wind up being promotional.

I got some pictures off and I'd like your opinions and also maybe an intake of what you'd want to see as a promotional shot?

(Remember that this is during worktime, which means I don't have that much of a window to take these shots. I try my best squeezing in some camera work, but it's not easy, I tell you that - hehe)

This is our Anglerfish Tournedos with Peccorinobaked Norwegian Lobster and a Bouillabaisse reduction

Now these two, I can't really deside which one to pick, or if any of them is any good? your take? Maybe I should've used a slower/faster shutter?
They are both shot in 1/200 f1,8 ISO 400.

Flikkaarrrr

Last edited by Acapulco; Aug 5, 2010 at 10:05 PM.
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:27 PM   #2

really need to brighten things up, should try bouncing a flash off the ceiling or invest in a softbox for food shots, but nice shots! and i prefer the first pan shot.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:02 PM   #3

that's the really dumb thing about the situation... Of course having a softbox it would be much easier to get food shots great. But these shots is actually during service and it's food ment for dining guests.
I wish I could have it staged somehow but unfortunately it's out of the question.
And the flash thing, I don't own an external flash... Would the standard flash with rear sync be of any assistance maybe?

Thanks for your intake though pb !

Flikkaarrrr
Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:09 PM   #4

a ring flash would actually be perfect for this, but as you said you only have an internal flash....
With an on camera flash, the light is really harsh and direct, that's where bouncing or a soft box helps, it softens the light... and you are in the middle of a working restraunt, so it is going to be difficult to do this... maybe try increasing the iso a tad to get a brighter picture and mess with it a little in pp'ing.

is there anyplace in the back near a window or better light?

but i really like the 1st shrimp shot really good angle of food, and just an awesome shot.

Jeff

Last edited by pbjunkiee; Aug 4, 2010 at 11:12 PM.
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:35 PM   #5

I would definetly love to have an external flash, but I heard something about flashes with dedicated or master or something, and not all cameras supports it? Maybe that's something else?
Yeah, there was no pp at all and the ISO was on 400, so maybe I should go for 800 instead...

Unfortunately it's a really tiny kitchen, we are only 2 chefs working at the time, because three wouldn't fit ! haha...

Thanks, I was really pleased with how that shot came out too

and since Im a chef I can't help but correcting you on that shrimp thing ;P
It's a norwegian lobster, but that's not relevant - hehe

Thanks again for giving me pointers ! Im definetly gonna check out a flash for my camera... There's a LOT of times where I wish I had a flash to, i.e bounce off some lightning.

Flikkaarrrr
Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:44 PM   #6

well i see that you shoot a nikon, there are cheap manual flashes called yn-460 II on ebay for sub $50. with it you can get a movable flash that you can point at a wall or ceiling to get a more natural ambient light to make the food more dramatic. For $50 you cant beat that. with a prime lens like the one you just acquired, don't be afraid to go down to 1.8, it will stay sharp, and you will get some crazy DOF if you want. by the way, that norwegian lobster looks quite tasty....

jeff
Old Aug 5, 2010, 7:24 AM   #7

You chosed very difficult situations to begin with. Both picks with tricky movements that need special lighting and meticulous DOF.
Why don't you shoot some dishes first (still) or picks of the work place itself. There're a lot of interesting objects and places even in a tiny kitchen.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2010, 7:29 AM   #8

the first one you are to low need to see a bit more of the plate and as for the other two try increasing your iso which will give you a faster shutter speed if light and flash are a problem
Neil Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2010, 9:47 AM   #9

Here's an excellent web site that you surely know: FXCuisine.com. Some amazing product picks. Check the photographic set up:

http://fxcuisine.com/about-my-kitchen.asp?language=5
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Wharton View Post
the first one you are to low need to see a bit more of the plate and as for the other two try increasing your iso which will give you a faster shutter speed if light and flash are a problem
True, that's the first thing that caught my eye, there's more of the bottom of the plate than what's on it. Good ideas though.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote