Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 11, 2010, 1:29 AM   #1

Default I'm a beginner so tell what is wrong in this picture

bought z950 for now.. before that i had somekinda Sony Pocket cam.. didn't really care.. snap and go and it was fine for me until now. So far i played with Aperture and today i learned a bit about shutter speed.

1/2s
f/6.2
iso:100
Attached Images

idenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2010, 2:48 AM   #2

You asked whats wrong with it? Well aside from the fact there are no beautiful girls or perhaps a duck in the water, nothing wrong with it except the composition. The image as is just doesnt look complete. The water is good as well as the bridge and rocks. Perhaps taking this pic later in the day would be better. It would make it easier to have that smooth look to the water and the lights on the bridge would look a lot nicer. Plus the darkness of the sky would hide the building on the left which is only partially visible as well as the building behind the right portion of the bridge.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 3:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
You asked whats wrong with it? Well aside from the fact there are no beautiful girls or perhaps a duck in the water, nothing wrong with it except the composition. The image as is just doesnt look complete. The water is good as well as the bridge and rocks. Perhaps taking this pic later in the day would be better. It would make it easier to have that smooth look to the water and the lights on the bridge would look a lot nicer. Plus the darkness of the sky would hide the building on the left which is only partially visible as well as the building behind the right portion of the bridge.
yeah.. i wanted to stay a bit more but it was windy and cold.. so i couldn't stay any longer. It just wouldn't let me go lower so i took with 1/2s

Thanks.. i'm gonna take a couple more shot tomorrow

Last edited by idenny; Aug 11, 2010 at 3:59 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:34 AM   #4

a good exposure on the water i love that creamy effect ..... the horizon is sloped
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:56 AM   #5

How about this.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 1:40 AM   #6

pboerger haha that's nice!
Old Aug 12, 2010, 2:28 AM   #7

Thats nice but Id also like to see the light source reflecting on the water. Oh I just noticed that all those lights arent from those on the bridge. So there are even more street lights than I thought. Thats great. Just get a shot about 10 minutes after the sun has set.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 9:52 AM   #8

Looks like a nice photo which can take nice pictures. You mentioned that you couldn't go any lower, does this mean that you took it handheld? If so, that's a nice job already, and as Bynx mentioned, seeing the lightsources would be nice as well.

I'm a beginner myself as well, and getting the right composition is rather difficult in my opinion. You can be in a beautiful environment, but expressing it on a photo is a hard task often , but we're all learning.

PS. Thanks for the information how you took the shot, will try it as well later
Honnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:28 AM   #9

When you look into the viewfinder just stop a minute and LOOK. Does the picture you see look like something you would hang on the wall. Does it look complete, balanced. Does it look right. If it doesnt then dont shoot it. Move the camera a bit one way or the other, up down or sideways. We live in a 3D world so it changes all the time. Sometimes a shot we point the camera at will just be perfect because thats the way the scene is. Other times we have to make it perfect by observing what we see in the viewfinder or LCD screen first. Never think you can fix a problem later with Photoshop. Try to have no mistakes when you take the picture.