Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:11 PM   #1

Default Pine Forest crop

Hi all

I'm submitting this photo for your honest C&C (critique and comments).

I went on a walk with 3 friends in the Crawford Forest (Adelaide hills, South Australia) and we had a great day. As usual, I captured many photos throughout the day including quite a number of funny, happy memories of us. I also took some landscape shots.

This scene was one during that I found quite interesting - an adjacent hill side which was forested with pine trees (a plantation). A valley stood between us and it. Back home I couldn't decide what to do with the photo, and am torn between these two versions ('to crop or not').

So I would like your comments, as to either of the two is preferred (or if both are not worth keeping). I think should I go to that area again, and if the light is favourable, I'll experiment with composure and a few other settings a bit more, because I think the area has potential for a great photo.

One thing I do like about the photo - both versions - is the 'somewhat' symmetry balance (e.g. trees are planted in rows) - but at the same time the randomness of nature displayed also - (e.g. different shape and foilage hue for each tree, and some trees have died and fallen over - looking like 'tree skeletons').

Looking forward to your critiques and opinions, friends!

Many thanks.

Photo #1 - wider view

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:16 PM   #2

Default Photo #2 - tighter crop

And here is the 2nd version of the same photo - a tighter crop around the trees.

I thought it good to include the 2 more "obvious dead trees" (ones that have fallen over and died) ... as I feel that adds interest to the photo.

Paul
Attached Images

Old Aug 13, 2010, 2:38 AM   #3

Hi Paul,
I like both pics but prefer the first one. The green is amazing and the trees look like you could run your hand over them and they would be like a soft brush to a giant.
In pic 2, I find the 2 dead trees trunks are a bit to white for me, they really contrast and stand out a bit to much for my liking. I would prefer them just toned down a tad so they are similar to the other branches lying around. But I know nothing and it's official. Really like them both though.
Regards Mark
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 9:52 AM   #4

i dont get it.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:28 AM   #5
Super Moderator

to be honest, if you didnt explain what you were after, i really wouldn't know.

for me the angle is not interesting, nor is there enough interesting elements to make it work.

i am sure there are some great photos in this pine forest. but i would try some different angles, with some stronger elements.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 8:57 AM   #6

Thanks Mark for your thoughts and feedback. I value what you wrote. I never thought about the 'pine paintbrush for a giant' perspective, but I like it!! Yes, when you mention it -the dead trees are a bit 'harsh' Cheers.

Hi ewheeler20 - (excuse my warped sense of humour in advance) - I don't get it either... but I do remember working out way back in grade 5 that the cube root of 9 (to 7 decimal figures) is 2.0800838 (at least that brain cell survived!)

Hards80 / dustin - thanks for your honest thoughts and take on it. I think you've hit the nail on the head, that there are not enough strong elements to bring out truly a 'photoworthy' shot. So I do hope to get back to this place (or a similar scene) - practising on it and getting in some better photos.

Thanks all! That's what this forum is for.

Paul
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:23 AM   #7

I much prefer the first shot. Although there is not a lot of specific subject matter, I find my eyes scanning the photo looking at the different trees and objects. I am from an area with lots of forests and so the first plays more with my imagination/memory.
To me, the second shot just looks like a close up of a few trees. That's my 2 cents.
Soupcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 6:46 AM   #8

Hi Soupcreek

I appreciate your 2 cents' worth. Probably because there are not a lot of pine trees in this area, I was too hasty and didn't think enough about composing (plus i was with some friends, so didn't want to spend too long with the camera taking 'landscape shots'- but rather capture memories of our time together - e.g. when I took this photo, they were pretending to do martial art fighting against each other, for example!)

Paul
Old Aug 19, 2010, 4:11 AM   #9

now i like this especially the first one keeps you looking for a while. I now there's no foreground interest or focal point but it keeps you looking nice Paul.
Neil Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 7:03 AM   #10

where's waldo?