Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 21, 2010, 2:25 AM   #1

Default My golden at the beach

Sold up all my DSLR gear and now snapping with my wifes $100 canon point and shoot. What a pain in the neck

My golden messing around at our local beach
Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2010, 6:38 PM   #2

A great pick. Is that really a $100 ps?
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 2:59 AM   #3

really nice Ken love the blue you buying new gear or just had enough mate.
Neil Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 2:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
A great pick. Is that really a $100 ps?
Thanks!

Its the canon powershot A720. Its quite a capable camera for the price (Paid about $180 for it about 1.5 years ago, worth a bit of $100 these days)

I can use some of the old techniques i used to use on my SLR
Old Aug 22, 2010, 2:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Wharton View Post
really nice Ken love the blue you buying new gear or just had enough mate.
Thanks!

Just bought a house about a year ago so sold up everything so we could get off the ground with all the house stuff.

Yea, hopefully in the next year or so i would like to buy a modern DSLR again, i loved my old canon and would love to see what these modern versions can do. I notice you get so much more bang for your buck and image stabilisation is now so affordable.

Cheers
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:57 AM   #6

Hi Kevin

Good to see you back here, mate. Been missing seeing your NZ pics.
Love the clear blue of the sky (even if it's a bit too severe to be totally natural - still strikes a strong image).

And your golden retriever is positioned and posed just perfectly. Love the balance of the photo and how the rocks have leading lines too. That cloud is just cream on the cake! Well done.

I'm in the other boat compared to you regarding cameras. I currently have 2 DSLRs (my good ol' Canon 350D and a new Canon 7D) - and there are times that I want to have a small Point & Shoot with me (to slip into my 'man bag' / satchel / pocket).
Technique for many types of photos (e.g. landscape) is much more important than having the best, biggest, you-beaut new-tech camera. Of course in some tricky situations only a dedicated lens / DSLR / flash, (& tripod) etc will do.

But there are many times a good photo can be taken with the most basic of P&S. I want to get a P&S that has a bit of zoom (e.g. at least 5x) & is decent in low-light.

Currently my walk around combination is my 7D with the 15-85mm lens (love the combo). Or if I want to travel lightest, I go for my 350D with the 18-55mm lens.

My Fuji p&s camera broke some years ago. The photo that still gets the most 'wows' was taken with that basic Fuji point & shoot. All of 3 megapixels!

All the best.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1974 View Post
Hi Kevin

Good to see you back here, mate. Been missing seeing your NZ pics.
Love the clear blue of the sky (even if it's a bit too severe to be totally natural - still strikes a strong image).

And your golden retriever is positioned and posed just perfectly. Love the balance of the photo and how the rocks have leading lines too. That cloud is just cream on the cake! Well done.

I'm in the other boat compared to you regarding cameras. I currently have 2 DSLRs (my good ol' Canon 350D and a new Canon 7D) - and there are times that I want to have a small Point & Shoot with me (to slip into my 'man bag' / satchel / pocket).
Technique for many types of photos (e.g. landscape) is much more important than having the best, biggest, you-beaut new-tech camera. Of course in some tricky situations only a dedicated lens / DSLR / flash, (& tripod) etc will do.

But there are many times a good photo can be taken with the most basic of P&S. I want to get a P&S that has a bit of zoom (e.g. at least 5x) & is decent in low-light.

Currently my walk around combination is my 7D with the 15-85mm lens (love the combo). Or if I want to travel lightest, I go for my 350D with the 18-55mm lens.

My Fuji p&s camera broke some years ago. The photo that still gets the most 'wows' was taken with that basic Fuji point & shoot. All of 3 megapixels!

All the best.

Paul
Good to hear from you too.

I must say using the p&s has forced me to become more diligent with my shooting. With my dlsr i could be more reckless and the camera would usually help me with either its high sensitivity (low noise) or its very fast multi shooting.

7D looks like a great camera. Probably too flash for me when i do finally get one again.

Hope all is well with you
Old Aug 28, 2010, 5:36 AM   #8
Super Moderator

I know I said it on another thread but great to have you back and also I'm impressed at your shooting with a P&S.

You need to get back to your portrait shots, even with the P&S, you had good skills and sure, you can't do shallow DOF, but it will make you look harder at the scenery etc.

There are great new camera options now, the 60D is just coming out and the T1i or T2i (500D/550D) are very nice too and will take a 50mm f1.8 which you did so well with.

Anyway, shoot lots, have fun and post regularly.