Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:51 AM   #1

Default Cleared for takeoff

Airshow pics

C&C
Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:20 AM   #2

I have always found that the underside of planes dont create an interesting photo, unless there is a bomb bay door open on them or something. Also, i never thought that the back of planes were very interesting unless afterburners were glowing...

You did add an "interesting" dimension with the plane tail in the foreground, I'm not sure that it helped.

I'd start from scratch. :\
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
I have always found that the underside of planes dont create an interesting photo, unless there is a bomb bay door open on them or something. Also, i never thought that the back of planes were very interesting unless afterburners were glowing...

You did add an "interesting" dimension with the plane tail in the foreground, I'm not sure that it helped.

I'd start from scratch. :\
Ha, this is exactly what i tried to do here. I always see air show shots with planes in the air and tried to do something different using the tail of another.

thanks for the feedback
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:53 PM   #4

That looks like the tail section of a C-17
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:55 PM   #5

Yep, C-17.

The clear skies and aircraft are a great combination, especially if you have interesting subjects. The pics have an artistic flare, and the idea is a good one.

Cargo aircraft are not really that interesting, neither are commercial aircraft. Also, aircraft with gear down are less appealing than aircraft with gear raised. I second the suggestions of afterburners and bomb bay doors. Cargo or commercial aircraft pics from an airshow are like going to a car show and taking a picture of the truck that carried the cars there, or taking a pic of the Camry sitting next to the Corvette.

With that said, I like how you framed the first pic.

The second pic looks almost like a pic trying to tell a story. But, the subjects are poorly matched.

Please take the notes with a grain of salt. I'm not a pro photog, but I do fly some of the more interesting aircraft that were at your airshow. (Think bomb bay doors)
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
daveleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 6:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleau View Post
Yep, C-17.

The clear skies and aircraft are a great combination, especially if you have interesting subjects. The pics have an artistic flare, and the idea is a good one.

Cargo aircraft are not really that interesting, neither are commercial aircraft. Also, aircraft with gear down are less appealing than aircraft with gear raised. I second the suggestions of afterburners and bomb bay doors. Cargo or commercial aircraft pics from an airshow are like going to a car show and taking a picture of the truck that carried the cars there, or taking a pic of the Camry sitting next to the Corvette.

With that said, I like how you framed the first pic.

The second pic looks almost like a pic trying to tell a story. But, the subjects are poorly matched.

Please take the notes with a grain of salt. I'm not a pro photog, but I do fly some of the more interesting aircraft that were at your airshow. (Think bomb bay doors)
Thanks for feedback

Yea i have a few shots of some fighter jets but they are literally a plane in the middle of a blue sky
Old Aug 24, 2010, 7:20 AM   #7

I like the shots - the plane on the ground gives a point of reference to the plane in the air. A plane lost in the sky gives no real sense as to what it's doing, as the photo could be rotated fully without detection.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 3:52 AM   #8

Hi kenmck15
For me both pics are Very good, I really like the composition. I,m not interested in planes much but find the way you have captured the moment, the unusual viewpoint, the contrast, shapes and angles very, very interesting. If I were there I would have been over the moon if I had thought of those compositions and been able to capture the planes like that. I like them both very much.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:10 PM   #9

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

very intersting compositions.Ii like em both!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 5:05 AM   #10

Nice Ken love the blue
Neil Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote