Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 31, 2010, 7:36 AM   #1

Default The Cyclist

Here is a shot of my son I took yesterday. Any comments for improvement?
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2010, 7:57 AM   #2

i allways think that if your shooting a moving subject then its best to have more space in front of the subject, so it looks like they have somewhere to go.
appart from that it looks ok to me
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 8:09 AM   #3

Ya I thought exactly the same thing kazuya. But then he is just off center and I thought it might be nice to see where he has been. hahahaha I suppose I could crop the right or add more to the left. Its full frame now but I could probably build up the left.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 8:13 AM   #4

I'm not sure about this one Bynx. The bike is to centered, looks like he is about to leave the frame. And the background appears to be more blurred than the speed of the bike seems to be moving.

MAR's Flickr
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 8:24 AM   #5

What can I say mugmar. There is no touch up to the shot whatsoever. Its just raw and not a pixel cropped.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 8:46 AM   #6

As mentioned the framing is a bit too centered. But the biggest issue for me is the lack of sharpness of the main subject. That's the tough part of panning. There is no facial detail to be seen and no detail in any part of the rider or the bike itself. I would suggest starting with faster shutter speeds - work at getting the sharpness/detail in your subject at faster speeds first. Then slow down and see if detail is retained. You really want to end up with the facial detail and the wording on the bike pretty good - after all those should only be moving in the direction of the pan.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 9:52 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Is this a panning shot, or are you in a moving car beside it? I ask this since it looks like he is on the side of the road and you are shooting from a regular lane of traffic.

I agree with John though, need to get your son sharp first. then work on the blurred tires and background. If you are shooting from a car as i ask in my first question, the car movement may not be helping you here.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 9:56 AM   #8

Thanks John. You just made it clear to me that my shutter speed was too slow. While I wanted a blurry background I want the subject sharper. So I have to learn the shutter speed that will give me both. What I find odd about the pic here though is the fact that parts of my son are sharper than other parts. Like his had and chest and down to the crossbar on the bike. Then the rest is blurry. I cant figure that out. I would think the whole subject would look the same either all sharp or all blurry.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 9:58 AM   #9

I was standing on the park bench seat when I took this. I wanted to get the lake in the picture and there was tall weeds that I had to get over. Its a small two lane bicycle path that Kyle is riding on. He was only about 7 feet away from me.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
What I find odd about the pic here though is the fact that parts of my son are sharper than other parts. Like his had and chest and down to the crossbar on the bike. Then the rest is blurry. I cant figure that out. I would think the whole subject would look the same either all sharp or all blurry.
Actually two answers to this. In any panning shot what will be sharp is those portions of the image moving in the exact direction/velocity of your pan. Objects moving in other directions/speeds will be blurred. So objects moving up & down or objects moving at an angle (which is why panning on a cornering car will often show front or back-end blur) will be blurred.
Second - there are parts of any image where it's more evident the image is blurred. When I look at the shot - the cross bar and support bar are both un-sharp but the support bar jumps out more because of the letters. Whenever there is finer detail it's easier to see something isn't right. Similarly the face jumps out as being un-sharp because of the missing detail in eyes - whereas his back lacks that fine detail so the lack of sharpness isn't as evident.

So with that in mind I don't see anything unusual - the whole image is soft but the parts that have finer detail like the face or letters just make it more noticeable than the back or saddle.

Now, I don't shoot cycling but I think it's always helpful to see images demonstrating the points I talk about. Here's a link to a post with some cycling shots - the 1st shot in the series is exactly the type of shot you are after - the motion blur is there but the detail is too - you can see the face, wording isn't blurred on the bike, etc:
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?...hlight=cycling
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote