Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 8, 2010, 6:40 PM   #1

Default Prudential Center

I took this pic in night mode. I'm not happy with it. It came out grainy but I am not sure whether this happened because of all the fog or because I did something wrong. Any thoughts on how to fix this other than shooting in broad daylight with no fog?

Taken with a panasonic FZ35
Attached Images

Joe_the_Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2010, 7:07 PM   #2

Your ISO is too high. Shoot it at 100 ISO with a slow shutter using a tripod and you won't have the grainy look.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 9:20 PM   #3

So the photo was actually taken off a tripod. I am not sure what mode it was in at the time. However, I tried setting my ISO manually now and in Intelligent Auto mode I can't do it at all. That's understandable I suppose. In Manual, Program or Night mode the lowest I can go is 200. Is this a limitation of the camera or am I doing something wrong?

I have a picture I took in the dark that came out beautiful but I don't recall what settings I used to get this photo (there is some compression there as I scaled down but it looks excellent in original format):
Attached Images

Joe_the_Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:28 AM   #4

Stop using those automatic mode features. Who is taking the picture you or the camera? Well, you know what I mean. If you learn to use your camera you can reduce greatly the noise factor. Lower the ISO, give a longer shutter speed and open your lens to a larger fstop and use a tripod.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote