Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:44 AM   #1

Default Lighthouse set

The lighthouse at Whitefish Point. Not the best, but overall I still like them. Was hard to find good vantage points without 20 tourists in the shot. C&C welcome.

hoffam19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:49 AM   #2

really really like the grass in the first and last shots!
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:06 PM   #3

All 3 are very good!
Subhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 5:08 PM   #4

I'll spring for three, but you need to crank her back a few degrees to level.
eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 4:52 PM   #5

shot #3 is the best. I would not change a thing.

#1 and #2.. technically they are good, but i just cant put my finger on it as to why the angles just doesn't do anything for me.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 9:08 AM   #6

hello Hoffam19

Nice idea - and you've captured the feel of the place well (without 20 tourists).

As this is the critiques section, some of my feedback. (just being direct and helpful)

1. Photo is nice, but the green is too bright (maybe a result of HDR post processing). On my monitor (well calibrated) - the grass is almost flourescent green

2. Interesting angle (not my fav, though) - the sky darkens too much at the top (did you use a polarising filter?)

3. As previously mentioned, photo slopes a bit down at the right. Also, I find the vignetting of the sky distracting.

A lot of potential there... you've made a good start, imho.

Cheers. Please keep sharing.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 4:42 PM   #7

Thanks for the critique & comments guys.

As for the first photo, yes it is hdr, but I think the intensity and color of the grass was caused mainly by way the light was hitting it more than anything.

In number 2, I didn't use a polarizer, but it is ran through photomatixs. I changed nothing on the "details enhancer" tab, but messed with the "tone compressor" tab a bit and got the dark sky. I agree, not the best angle, but I wasn't sure what to do there with what I had to work with.

The angle of shot 3 is deceiving, when you put a straight edge across the picture, the roof tops are perfectly horizontal and the tower is vertical. I realize it does look just a bit tilted, but what should I do, change it so it looks right or leave it so the buildings are horizontal/tower's vertical? The vignetting can be removed as I added that in pp. I liked the way it kind of framed the shot.

As for the color problems other than what was already explained, I have crap for monitors. I have some nice software to work with, but I have crap for computers to run it on, so I understand the colors/brightness/darkness may be out of wack, but I'm going off of what I see. So until I can get a new computer just bear with me. (I do all my pp on a 6 year old laptop with a busted screen hooked up to a 19inch tv)

Thanks to this forum and a willingness to learn, I'm still learning how to use all the different settings and little tricks every time I take out my camera. It wasn't until this spring that I even started taking an interest in photography and bought a decent camera. I still don't even know the capabilities of the thing...
hoffam19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 8:21 AM   #8

Hi hoffam19

Glad tha tyou appreciated the direct comments and didn't take offence or be defensive. We all can learn, and I admit I've been glad of the help from many on this forum over the years too.

Might be monitor calibration, but I am more convinced that the grass is too 'bright / hot' due to HDR. Green is emphasised more than other colours through most HDR processes, so grass often has the effect yours shows.

Ah, shot 3 - might be an optical illusion appearing that it's not straight - when it is. Might be to due with the 'flow' of the grass to one side (large in foreground, buildings receeding in background).

Keep it up!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:04 AM   #9

Like #3 very much, the vignetting, the grass. Just needs a subtle tilting correction.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote