Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 13, 2010, 8:14 AM   #1

Default 30 seconds of night

Hello everyone

Last night I went for a walk as the sun was setting. When I reached the furthest part of my walk, the sun was already well below the horizon, and the sky was quite dark.

As I headed back to my home, I took a few long exposure shots. This was one of them. 30 seconds, ISO 200, f5.6. Camera: Canon 7D. Lens: Sigma 10-20mm EX.

Using my new Manfrotto tripod - of course... I'm steady - but not THAT steady!

I do realise this shot is quite dark... in fact I did some different post processing options, but this was the one that looks most natural (as I remember it- the clouds slowly drifting across the darkened sky).

I particularly like how the moon was a semi-crescent - and there was the bright star (or planet) below the moon in the composition too.

Does this photo capture anyone's imagination? Can you imagine this scene from Australian (an 'outer suburban Adelaide' area)?

Or if you have constructive feedback to offer, I also appreciate that.

Many thanks.

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2010, 9:23 AM   #2

Nice work Paul its got a great feel to this
Neil Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:48 AM   #3

personally, i have always been fond of using a dim flash just to capture the foreground a bit more, in conjunction with the 30 second shutter speed.

it is a very nice shot though.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 3:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Wharton View Post
Nice work Paul its got a great feel to this
Hi Neil

Thanks for your kind comments - glad you appreciate the feel of the photo.

Paul
Old Sep 15, 2010, 3:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
personally, i have always been fond of using a dim flash just to capture the foreground a bit more, in conjunction with the 30 second shutter speed.

it is a very nice shot though.
Hello Eric

Yes, I can see your point. I must emphasise the ground WAS very dark in this instance.

However, to brighten it up a bit with a dim fill flash - I don't think that would have led to an even light over the whole field, would it? (or is there something else you can do to with dim flash to do that?)

Cheers - appreciate your comments.

Paul
Old Sep 15, 2010, 3:49 AM   #6

Nice but the moon and the other bright light detract from the pic as far as i am concerned.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 7:53 AM   #7

Really interesting shot Paul. Im sure it was darker than it looks. The moon is a nice touch but Im not sure what that bright light under the moon is. Too bright to be a star. Its almost as bring as the moon. I see lots of other stars though. I think it would be more interesting if there were no clouds so we could really see those stars. But as is, pretty decent job.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 8:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
Nice but the moon and the other bright light detract from the pic as far as i am concerned.
Hi Koolpc

Thanks for sharing your perspective. You've given me an idea, maybe I should clone out the moon and star/planet. Will do so if I get time.

Cheers

Paul
Old Sep 15, 2010, 8:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Really interesting shot Paul. Im sure it was darker than it looks. The moon is a nice touch but Im not sure what that bright light under the moon is. Too bright to be a star. Its almost as bring as the moon. I see lots of other stars though. I think it would be more interesting if there were no clouds so we could really see those stars. But as is, pretty decent job.
Greetings Bynx

Thanks for your much appreciated comments.

Indeed, you're right - 'twas darker than it looks.

The 2nd light under the moon was indeed either a star or a planet (sorry, I'm not keeping up to date with astronomy). However as there was a slight amount of cloud in front of it, the light of the star/planet lit that up, creating a larger light area than it would have been if the sky was clear.

Also, I'm not sure (maybe spy could help with some input here) - but maybe even at 30 seconds exposure, the amount of star (or planet) movement (relative to the earth/rotation) would contribute to a bit of a larger 'light area' than a shot at 1 second. I took a few other shots, e.g. some at over a minute, and there, the star movement (particularly on full size rez) is clearly seen.

Again, thanks for your thoughts. I'm keen to try more night photos and learn, improve, enjoy the journey!

Paul
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:45 AM   #10

I think Spy has inspired a few people to try night shots. Having recently aquired a Nikon Im able to take long shots and with a cable release. Both necessary features.
30 seconds exposure is ok by the look of the other stars. They are still sharp pinpoints.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote