Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:41 AM   #1

Default take it easy now

i am just getting back into the slr world. my last slr was a Pentax K1000, years ago. i just got a Pentax K-x and am just lit with excitement. constructive criticism of course welcome. (i hope this is not too bad of etiquette, but i also posted these in the Pentax SLR threads)

vinnybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:57 AM   #2

Nice pics. I like the little girl running and the last portrait. You can sharpen some picks a liitle bit. Colors look faithful.
Couple of advices:

1. Post less picks to comment.
2. Number the picks so we can refer to #2 or #4 or whatever.
3. A space between pics helps to isolate the photo and makes it easier to see.
4. Limit the wide to about 1000 pixeles to avoid scrolling.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:59 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Hi.

Glad you are enjoying your new camera. And it is ok to post the whole set in the Pentax forum.

But this forum is for focused critique on 1 photograph. So feel free to post them all in Pentax or people or whatever forum, and pick 1 out you want more feedback on for this forum.

See:
Please only post one shot per thread for critique so we can focus in on your work rather than trying to talk about a set of photos. A great way to use these forums is post a set of images in a genre or camera make forum, and choose single photos from this set that you want extra feedback on for sharing in the Photo Critiques forum.
-Taken from the sticky.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:01 AM   #4

Did you use 18-55 mm KIT lense or any other?
Lovely pictures
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Nice pics. I like the little girl running and the last portrait. You can sharpen some picks a liitle bit. Colors look faithful.
Couple of advices:

1. Post less picks to comment.
2. Number the picks so we can refer to #2 or #4 or whatever.
3. A space between pics helps to isolate the photo and makes it easier to see.
4. Limit the wide to about 1000 pixeles to avoid scrolling.
thanks for the tips for a noob
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by imut View Post
Did you use 18-55 mm KIT lense or any other?
Lovely pictures
used the 55-300 on all.
it will prob prove to be my walking around lens.
i only see myself taking the 18-55 out for wide angle shots
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Hi.

Glad you are enjoying your new camera. And it is ok to post the whole set in the Pentax forum.

But this forum is for focused critique on 1 photograph. So feel free to post them all in Pentax or people or whatever forum, and pick 1 out you want more feedback on for this forum.

See:
Please only post one shot per thread for critique so we can focus in on your work rather than trying to talk about a set of photos. A great way to use these forums is post a set of images in a genre or camera make forum, and choose single photos from this set that you want extra feedback on for sharing in the Photo Critiques forum.
-Taken from the sticky.
thanks for the direction. will do from now on.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:31 AM   #8
Super Moderator

one thing i will say is some of the shots of the girls, it looks like its a pretty cloudy day, and you are shooting with a telephoto lens, make sure your shutter speeds are high enough to keep the shots sharp, they look a little bit soft. you can see the difference to the shots in the brighter sun. so for the overcast days you may have to bump up the iso til your shutter speeds are nearing 1/focal length. also in these overcast days, you can use a little bit of pop of the flash to fill in a bit and to give some highlights in the eyes.

shot #1 is really cute, just a little soft like i said.
and i really like the 2nd one from the bottom, the girls in the tree, very cute, good use of the tree as a prop, just again a bit soft.
actually all the shots of the girls are really cute and done well, just a bit soft.

the dog shot, you should always focus on the eyes, here you are more focused on the shoulder area. no matter what it is, a person, pet, animal, always focus the eye.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 12:00 PM   #9

Quote:
the dog shot, you should always focus on the eyes, here you are more focused on the shoulder area. no matter what it is, a person, pet, animal, always focus the eye.
Which focus mode you suggest us to use?
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 12:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
one thing i will say is some of the shots of the girls, it looks like its a pretty cloudy day, and you are shooting with a telephoto lens, make sure your shutter speeds are high enough to keep the shots sharp, they look a little bit soft. you can see the difference to the shots in the brighter sun. so for the overcast days you may have to bump up the iso til your shutter speeds are nearing 1/focal length. also in these overcast days, you can use a little bit of pop of the flash to fill in a bit and to give some highlights in the eyes.

shot #1 is really cute, just a little soft like i said.
and i really like the 2nd one from the bottom, the girls in the tree, very cute, good use of the tree as a prop, just again a bit soft.
actually all the shots of the girls are really cute and done well, just a bit soft.

thanks so much for the great critique. there is sooo much difference between a good photograph and a great photograph; i am wanting to progress toward producing more of the latter, so your advice is great for me. the camera is also new, so i am learning it as well. again, thanks for taking the time to look over the photos and critique!