Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 1, 2010, 4:08 PM   #1

Default Concert photo

Hey, guys. I'm an absolute noob to dslrs and concert photography. I literally got my Nikon D5000 yesterday and took my very first photos with it today. I've been reading some tips about concert and stage photography online and trying out a bunch of different things. I'm at a conference right now with a lot of bands playing. This is one that I took this morning.

I do realize that I would have been better off without the heads in the pic and that it's slightly tilted. Aside from the those things can you offer up any other tips from what you see here?

Thanks!
Brad
Attached Images

DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2010, 4:23 PM   #2

While if the heads werent there no one would notice. Since they are there it gives it more of an actual live event with us, the viewer being there. They give the whole thing a reality. Would like to see the Color version.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 4:31 PM   #3

Here is the original version. I haven't processed it any...just resized. It had some really nice colors in it but the reason that I went B&W on this one was because of the noise. I decided to go b&w and sort of try to make the noise come off as grain.

brad
Attached Images

Old Oct 1, 2010, 4:41 PM   #4

I did get some stage-shots that were a little sharper but they were not as interesting compositionally. Those are attached. I hope that's OK that I've just added these two pics to the thread. They have been cropped and processed. Mainly a bit of sharpening and lighting adjustment. The first is musician David Crowder and the second is the lead singer from Leeland. Tonight I plan on getting more concert shots of other bands so I'll be checking this thread for any last minute tips before then!
Attached Images

Last edited by DigMe; Oct 1, 2010 at 4:45 PM.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:15 PM   #5

referring to your first photo, i love the heads in the foreground. Like bynx said, it adds to the realizim of being at a live event. I think i like the color version better IMO although the tilted angle, and the soft subject (singers) are throwing me off a bit.

I'd like to see other concert photos when you take them.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:24 PM   #6

I put your shot through Topaz Noise 4.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 8:06 AM   #7

Thanks for the feedback and thanks for removing the noise, Bynx. I'll have to try and acquire some similar software.

I got some good shots last night and I plan on getting some more this morning and afternoon so I'll start a "concert pics" thread in one of the other photo sharing forums here when I have the time. I'll link it here.

brad
Old Oct 3, 2010, 4:21 AM   #8

A concert picture thread is a great idea. It's a very specialized, and difficult, setting.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:06 PM   #9

Bynx did a great job on the noise, and I had to straighten the pic up ( PSE straighten tool) before it made me crazy LOL
Attached Images

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 4:17 PM   #10

I'll be a minority report and say I don't like the heads. A bunch of heads -- okay, then it looks like a concert. Or framed so that you're shooting through the heads -- then it looks like you're part of a crowd. This just looks like three helmets in the way of your shot. Distracting to me.

That said -- wow! Amazing for your first shots. I'm very impressed. Everything looks reasonably sharp, the colors are good... very hard to do in such a dark setting.
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote