Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:06 PM   #1

Default Just wondering

Would like some feedback on these. Just getting started with a DSLR and trying to do pics for my daughter. All comments and constructive criticism are welcome. Thanks for your looks in advance.
Attached Images

TCNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:55 PM   #2

i think you are off to a good start and your lucky to have a tidy daughter / model to practice with.... in the first shot i would have considered moving the mouth cone further to the left as viewed maybe in front of the other pillar as for the pose it works the second face portrait is ok but the eyes look to be oversaturated thats the only problem sometimes when just popping the eyes i know as i do this mistake myself......the third head shot (same as second) really shows your daughters beauty and is a very nice shot and most definatly a hanger ..... the fourth i find the second pillar (farest) a bit distracting or maybe it is the contrast between the dark and light try cropping it closer to the pillar i am sure it will work?

overall you have a nice set and a beautiful daughter you are off to a good start tcnelson welcome to steves
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:43 AM   #3

Its not hard for me to make some choices here. The first shot is preferential to the second it. She pops very nicely and the background stays where it belongs, in the background. The third shot of her peeking around the column in color is excellent. Your DOF is perfect.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:07 AM   #4

i would like to see a combination of the first and second photo. Where the background saturation is only half reduced, while keeping your daughter in full color.

I really like the third photo of her in almost B&W, but i think her eyes should also be in B&W too.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 4:13 PM   #5

Wow-- for starting out, this is amazing. When Bynx says anything is "perfect," that's a huge compliment.

I'm no longer a big fan of selective coloring -- it used to be a secret pp trick and take a lot of time; now even the cheapest programs can do it. So the blue eyes shot isn't very interesting to me. I like the color better. Now, the first shot is a little different because it's not for cool effect, but rather to focus on the subject. So I don't mind it.

Regarding the headshot -- (a) does anybody else mind her thumb in the picture? I think you need either a few more fingers or none at all. (b) Does anyone else think she looks topless? When I see a picture of a woman and see no hint of clothes whatsoever, a question that comes to mind is whether the photographer intended for the viewer to think the model isn't wearing any clothes. Maybe no one else minds it, but it's maybe something I'd think about if it were hanging 36x24 over a mantle. (c) Does her hair naturally pale from tip to root like that? If so, I guess that's OK, but it is really distracting to me. The boldest color of the whole photo is at the tip of her hair, so my eye is led there, away from her eyes. If you could bump the saturation in the top of her head, just a tad?

I'm amazed at your posing and composition. I can frame a nature shot, and perhaps a group of people, but I always have a tough time composing and posing models in portraits, especially of women. I think this is especially good here.
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:43 PM   #6

Loving #1 and #4... #5 not so much... she's much more beautiful when she's smiling.

Only one little thought for you is that in the peeking shot, it's all bare skin.... are you okay with that?

EDIT - sorry, I guess I missed perdendosi's comment on the same before I posted
kaaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:57 PM   #7

With the skin showing. . .that is the look that she wanted. It was an off the shoulder shirt. Thanks for all the comments and CC.
TCNelson is offline   Reply With Quote