Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 5, 2010, 5:27 PM   #1

Default Having fun...

We, Indians, do have fun too. I know you have a very bad impression about India (because, you know very little more than America) (and that's because I receive very little CC to my posts) (but, never mind, I wont change my id, location and country). See, if you can, the fun the villagers (of India) having by playing the drums, the cymbols (and many other sounds that you get through synthesizers, made in Japan). It's a 3d clay model. I clicked when I visited a handicraft fair yesterday. It expects 'you' to dance (not caricature) in front of them. They are poor, but richer in many senses, because they have fun. Hope you enjoy too!
Attached Images

Last edited by Subhs; Oct 5, 2010 at 5:30 PM.
Subhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2010, 5:55 PM   #2

I quite like it but you could have got a slightly better angle if you had stepped left a bit and lowered the camera so that you were more square on to it. The bit on the left in the background is distracting but you can't clip it without losing part of the drummer.

Have you processed it at all? It has a nice 'grungy' look but I can't tell if that's something you've done or how the artist has painted it.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2010, 11:02 PM   #3

How about some pictures of the food???

You've got some of the best food in the world over there in India.

I had some of the best breakfasts imaginable in southern India.

And what about those sweet shops? Send us some photos of Burfi with the tin foil.

India is a photographic paradise. Send us more!
TerryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 6:59 AM   #4

Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subhs View Post
We, Indians, do have fun too. I know you have a very bad impression about India (because, you know very little more than America) (and that's because I receive very little CC to my posts) (but, never mind, I wont change my id, location and country). See, if you can, the fun the villagers (of India) having by playing the drums, the cymbols (and many other sounds that you get through synthesizers, made in Japan). It's a 3d clay model. I clicked when I visited a handicraft fair yesterday. It expects 'you' to dance (not caricature) in front of them. They are poor, but richer in many senses, because they have fun. Hope you enjoy too!
Hi Subhs

Interesting subject, and reasonable photo of it (I agree with Martin as to suggestions for composition improvement and with Terry as to Indian food).

However I would advise you - your post is a little offensive:
a) not all people on this forum are from USA
b) not all people on this forum have 'bad impression about India'
c) not all people from USA 'know very little more than America'. In fact you'll find many people on this forum are very cultured.
So your assumptions are rather poor.
I realise English might not be your first language. So I just want to encourage you to be more positive.

I'm from Australia, and I know quite a lot about India. I've travelled and lived overseas for many years. Never been to India, but I have about 100 Indian friends, people I met in SE Asia, Europe, and here in Australia.

As I've lived in varying cultures, I've seen similar things to what your photo depicts. We can all appreciate and learn from each other (countries / geography, tradition, interesting aspects, culture, etc)

It might seem like you receive very little CC to your posts, but many people receive in the same statistical percentage as you. My challenge to you: post 100x as many cc to others' photos as you receive. If we all did that this forum would be thriving.

Best wishes. Hope to see some more of your photos.

Paul

Last edited by pj1974; Oct 11, 2010 at 7:00 AM. Reason: typo
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:04 AM   #5

I am an Indian too and I was quite shocked to read this post....It is not done this way...I agree with pj1974 totally. One has to be more posistive and polite as well. Commenting on a post is one's wish and no one can force him/her..... I think Mr Sen needs to apologise....
Canon Lens EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM IS
Canon Lens EF500mm F4L IS USM
Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX Macro
Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 Wide angle
hanalwala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:13 PM   #6

Wow Subhs - the photo has such colors that I wonder if it is the glaze or post processing.

I think you might have been in an off-mood when you posted, though. Having been active on the boards since March I have yet to get any sense of bigotry here from any posters, until now that is. It is dangerous to judge a culture based on Hollywood or the news media - exactly what you are apparently fighting. So please don't make the mistake of doing the same towards the USA.

For what it's worth, I tend to not get a lot of C&C on my photos. In my case it's because the photos are uninteresting.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:03 PM   #7

Very nice colors and exposure. I agree with Martin about the left side. It is just a little distracting.
I think your ideas about Americans are incorrect. Most of the people I know are handcrafters and musicians and artists in one way or another. Please, don't judge us all, based on impressions from the media or some of the bad examples that make nuisances of themselves as tourists.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 8:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1974 View Post
Hi Subhs

Interesting subject, and reasonable photo of it (I agree with Martin as to suggestions for composition improvement and with Terry as to Indian food).

However I would advise you - your post is a little offensive:
a) not all people on this forum are from USA
b) not all people on this forum have 'bad impression about India'
c) not all people from USA 'know very little more than America'. In fact you'll find many people on this forum are very cultured.
This. I've been around the world several times and I've lived in Asia (yes, I'm white with no Asian heritage). I have several friends that have been to India and in addition have several more that are going soon. Don't stereotype me, please.
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:22 AM   #9

I'm looking forward to more "street" photography from India. Other countries only ever see stock news photos. Part of the enjoyment I get out of this forum is the way other societies are presented by those who are part of them. Mr. Sen (if that's correct), please keep 'em coming.

Get past the lack of c&c. I look at the number of viewings my pics get. If the number is way low, like 2, maybe I chose a poor title or maybe an uninteresting topic. There's a lot of reasons. None of which are about you. I hope you can just enjoy taking photos and presenting them.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote