Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:57 PM   #11

Yeah, they sorta go with the acorn and the oak leaf.
I guess I do have to comment that the OP specifically asked for technical advice. I'm sure the critiques of the composition were well intentioned, but my take on it is that he has a vision of what he wants to do, so why not let him do it. Personally, I think it works well for the intended purpose.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:11 PM   #12

Brian the OP asked for feedback on the photo (in addition to asking for technical advice). And, seeing as this is the photo critique section, critique regarding composition is part of critiquing a photo. That's great that you think it works well, but just because others think it doesn't, that doesn't mean we're off base for providing that opinion - that's what the critique forum is for.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:50 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Yes, this is a critiques forum, everything posted here is up for critique on every aspect.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:02 PM   #14

Artistically, the concept works well: Oaks begin with acorns - marriages begin with rings. Not too difficult. Famous quotation in there somewhere. Nice association.
The way I read the post, he is asking for tchnical advice - thought I would offer that.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:24 PM   #15

Wow, thank you everyone about your answers! I don't mind about being critiqued because that's why I posted the photo here. The jury will tear it apart anyway so I better get some good advice before entering the contest.
My concept was a commercial poster for advertising jewelery in the fall (when people ussually don't buy such items), as they haven't specified that we should include just one item. I have two items from the same category... But now I think you're right - it may be a little distracting to have 2 pieces and a crowded background.
Technically speaking, believe me, I have tried all kinds of settings to keep the diamonds on focus and f/18 was the one that worked best to get more details about the type of gold and both rings' diamonds. I just couldn't figure out how to keep both rings on the same plane, as the engagement one is bigger (!).
About the PP requirements, what can I say? I guess they just want the contestants to master the camera settings (??!!). It sounds weird (retarded I may say) though to not even allow us to resize it or make minimum adjustments like color, brightness or contrast. I did PP it for the fun of it and it looks just different. Also blurring the background in PP could work just fine, but... The prize is a workshop about using the lights in a creative way - done by a store that sells those lights... The price of the workshop is not high, as they want to sell their products... I just wanted to enter the contest and maybe win for the sake of the challenge.
I will try to recompose the scene and leave just one item and then see if it still looks interesting, as I wanted a different approach of a product, other than a simple black or white background that you see on websites.
As far as the bananas... we can negotiate it - I think the ring it's worth more than 20 pieces... At least I made you like the rings. It was one of my intentions, right?
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:21 AM   #16

Personally I think I would try to get a bit more sparkle out the diamonds. They look a bit dull to me in the pics. Some creative lighting plus some polishing would add a lot IMO. They may be freshly polished but just without the necessary lighting to capture their sparkle. Jewelers cut diamonds specifically for the sparkle and jewelry stores design their lighting to bring that out so I think a lot of that should be captured in a good diamond photo.

bc
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:34 PM   #17

I'll try to play with some light (as the polishing part has been already done) and make another setup for the concept. I hope this will make a more interesting photo. Thanks!
Old Oct 14, 2010, 5:02 AM   #18

I took a little of everyone's advice and I've taken another photo with the same concept. I hope it's better this time. Thank you a lot for all your help. It meant a lot to me!
Attached Images

Old Oct 14, 2010, 6:20 AM   #19

Hrisi, The photo is well done. Nice for having no Post Processing. I struggle with that alot. The only thing that I might have done different would be in composition. I think that the acorn caps might need a little more imediate recognizability. The rings are shown in a very nice contrast to the earth tones of the leaf and acorn. Could easily refer to the maturing of a relationship and that getting married is it's fruit. As far as the background having to have something to do with the product?...........uh nah ! we see plenty of product comercials on tv that have little to do with the product it's self. Perhaps your jewelry store is having an autumn sale on rings eh?
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 6:56 AM   #20

I like the background blur better. It highlights the ring, while the orginal the rings got a little lost with the back ground objects.