Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 14, 2010, 9:10 AM   #21

The diamond looks much nicer in that one.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:00 PM   #22

Thanks again! I did my best: polished the diamond, set up the lights to try to enhance the diamond's cut (I used a LED reading lamp covered with a piece of paper to soften the shadows), and you can see the camera setting in the EXIF.
It seems that I can't do any better at this moment.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:35 PM   #23

oooh, i like your second attempt much better!
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:25 PM   #24

You have gone from very small aperture, to very large. Although the diamond is more pronounced, the rest of the ring is blurred, along with the b/g. For product shots, you probably should try to get more of the ring in focus. A mid-range aperture, such as f/5.6, might do better, and most lenses are sharpest a couple stops down from wide open, so you may see an improvement there, also.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:27 PM   #25

You might not need to go all the way to 5.6 with the 100 2.8L. To put more of the ring in focus 4 might do and it will be very sharp with the L. It is worth a try to play around with a smaller aperture to bring the ring more into focus.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 3:19 PM   #26

Well, here's my take - I like the second shot. For this specific instance I like the shallow DOF - the product is the diamond, not the ring it's mounted to. That's not a custom made ring. So I like the fact the shallow dof accentuates the real product - having it mounted gives the appropriate frame of reference vs. a loose diamond. So, for this specific instance I think the shallow DOF works for the product in question - in other cases it would be different.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 3:19 PM   #27

also - the background is now simpler and less distracting. The fall theme is there but it's not as confusing.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 3:43 PM   #28

Ah, I read 'jewelry'- missed that it was just the diamond. Yes, context is important, and not being familiar with the lens, I was guessing as to where it would be sharpest.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 3:47 PM   #29

Brian - the post said jewelry - but it's just product specific knowledge at play: diamond solitaire rings (engagement rings) are rarely sold as-is except at the cheapest level - you buy a stone and then buy the mount to put it on. This is a basic mount - not custom crafted, no extra stones etc. There are some jewelers that sell custom jewelry - if that were the case, more of the ring would be important.

That's my interpretation.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 4:11 PM   #30

Big improvement over the original shot. However, further improvements could help a lot. I agree with bock1965 that "the acorn caps might need a little more imediate recognizability". Also, I'd crop a bit tighter, especially at the top and left. Finally, and most importantly, spot lighting would really help, especially on the acorn cap and in order to provide even more sparkle to the diamond.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote