Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 14, 2010, 5:05 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrisi View Post
Thanks again! I did my best: polished the diamond, set up the lights to try to enhance the diamond's cut (I used a LED reading lamp covered with a piece of paper to soften the shadows), and you can see the camera setting in the EXIF.
It seems that I can't do any better at this moment.
IMO it's really quite good as far as capturing the diamond's luster against a dark background. If you look at a lot of diamond shots online they are often overexposed and with a white background to try and get it as bright and sparkly as possible.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 2:30 AM   #32

Hey guys, I guess I should've said this from the beginning: I gave the second photo the title: "a diamond in the fall". It was all about the diamond and its cut - it's still a product photo (I hope) but not for websites display - so, no shinning against a white background. Also, it is not a custom made ring, so there's nothing special about it to capture.
Shoturtle, believe me, I tried different appertures, but with f4 I got just more of the ring - not all of it, more of the background but not all of it. It came out pretty confusing so I gave up and kept the f2.8 just for the diamond and the creamy, idea inducing, background.
Also I tried to capture those nice sparkles that you see with the naked eye, but it seems that I just wasn't able to do it. I ended up with white blind spots with no detail.
It looks that diamond shots are not even closer the easiest things to take photos of...
Anyway I just loved the challenge as I have no idea if anybody will ever vote for my photo - it's a facebook contest and I don't have many friends voting for me, so I finally made it because it turned out to be more work that I initially thought.
Thanks again to everybody for your feedback and I'm looking forward to see more jewelery photos around here so our community can share ideas and tips&tricks.
Sorry for my delayed answers but it seems that the 7-8 hours time difference between the continents is not working great for me.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 3:36 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrisi View Post
Hey guys, I guess I should've said this from the beginning: I gave the second photo the title: "a diamond in the fall". It was all about the diamond and its cut - it's still a product photo (I hope) but not for websites display - so, no shinning against a white background.
Oh I wasn't suggesting that you should put it against a white background... just saying that considering that yours is against a dark background it looks nice and sparkly!

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 2:34 PM   #34

I appologize for the misunderstanding, Brad, but I just wanted to emphasize my idea of doing this kind of shots in a different way. I perfectly understood that you've liked it.