Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:57 PM   #1

Default Unprocessed photo for a contest

Hi everybody! I want to enter a local contest with the theme: product photo. The requirements are simple, as they want us to post an unprocessed photo, just as it came out of the camera.
I would appreciate your feedback for my photo below, as I did no PP to it except resize for posting here. I tried my best to show the diamond at its best, I used a CPL filter to enhance the colors and cut the reflections, also pushed the camera sharpening settings to the max. Also I tried to soften the natural light with some diffusers in order to avoid white spots on the jewelery. What else could've been done technically speaking?
Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:20 PM   #2

You said it was "unprocessed", and yet you did do some post-processing. As far as the picture is concerned I found it difficult to make out just what kind of a setting you were trying to create. I could make out the leaf OK, but if it takes a while for someone to study the background I think you've got a problem. Just my opinion, of course.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:24 PM   #3

Ya Im with Walter on this. I dont see the connection of the background to the rings. I too spent too much time trying to figure out what it is Im looking at. The rings were secondary. It took too long to see the leaf, acorn and I assume pine cones. They look more like the toes of a pair of cowboy boots.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:28 PM   #4

Well, the first thing that jumps out at me is that you've got two products instead of one. Even though the band and engagement ring can be purchased together they are and are presented as 2 distinct products. The second thing is the background is distracting. I'm still trying to figure out what the object is that you've got the band resting up against in the bottom of the frame. The idea of a product photo is to focus the attention on the product - so the combination of having 2 products and distracting elements means to me at least the photo is not successful. The dof also seems to not extend to the top of the wedding band - it appears those diamonds are a bit softly focused. Unfortunately, I don't shoot jewelry so I can't give you suggestions on best way to light a diamond to set off the brilliance. And as I'm not a product photographer, take my suggestions with a grain of salt. But that's my opinion if I were wanting a product photo for a brochure or advertisement.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 6:29 PM   #5

I think that shooting this at f/18 is not giving you all the sharpness you could get. Keeping the rings in the same plane, and using f/5.6 or f/8 would probably work better, and the shallower DOF would keep the viewer's attention on the diamonds, rather than the background.
I don't understand Walter's comment about PP being done, as everything was done either with lighting, filters, or camera settings.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 6:49 PM   #6
Super Moderator

i keep trying to figure out what is holding up the bottom ring? what is that? and i also kind of don't see the connection between the rings and the background. and i think Johns point a bout having 2 distinct products may be some problem too. i think you need to simplify here. pick 1 ring out, simplify the background. look for a more interesting angle to shoot as well, these are kind of just straight down and flat.

and i really have a problem with the whole "unprocessed" part of the competition. what is unprocessed anyways? either the camera processes it or you do. and what constitutes processed, you can't resize it? can you change in camera settings? is that different than adjusting sharpening after?

its just an antiquated way of thinking and should not be a part of photography anymore. that debate should have died years ago.

be that as it may. then you will want to adjust your incamera processing then, play with the sharpening and contrast and colors to give it a little more punch. (though what is the difference between that and doing later in pp????)
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:20 PM   #7

Probably I'm attuned to it because they're falling here and my son has decided he wants to "collect" them, but the things holding the bottom ring are a couple of acorn tops.
Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:31 PM   #8

---acorn tops of course... wow, where are you guys from where you dont have acorns? We have millions of them on the ground this year!

---as for the contest rule of no PP, i think that is ridiculous. post processing is an integral part of a nice photo.

---i agree with the other sentiments about the background. too distracting. And choose just one ring to focus upon.

Last edited by ewheeler20; Oct 11, 2010 at 7:33 PM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:54 PM   #9

Acorn tops. I didnt see it at all until after Green said it. Now its obvious, but I shouldnt have to work that hard. Nice rings though. I'll give you 10 bananas for them.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:03 PM   #10
Super Moderator

ahh yes, acorn tops. its really obvious when pointed out, but before I was just totally looking at it wrong.,