Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:05 AM   #1

Default Daughter and her friend

My daughter and her good friend wanted a few photos of the two of them together.

Please comment.

Faithfully Yours,
FP
Attached Images

FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:06 AM   #2

Second Photo
Attached Images

Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:07 AM   #3

Third Photo
Attached Images

Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:08 AM   #4

Fourth Photo
Attached Images

Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:31 AM   #5

I like the first photo the best, but I'd crop it closer to the girl's faces. I'd also recommend a little PP to correct the tooth on the girl to the left - I'm guessing the irregular gum line will go away, so it'd be best not to immortalize it in the photo. The smiles seem a bit forced - perhaps a more natural smile or candid shot would be better.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:37 AM   #6

the first and second are great
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:10 AM   #7

I like the first shot. The second shot has promise, but the DOF is too shallow - look at the eyes of the girl on the left - they're not in good focus - there's a big disparity between the sharpness of the eyes of the two girls. That's the challenge with trying to shoot multiple people at such wide apertures.

Shot 3 is a complete wash for this same reason - it's too distracting having 2 girls sharing equal space in the frame with one of them out of focus.

In photo 4 - not much to recommend on the poses. And there's a disparity in the lighting - bright on the one girl's neck but the other girl is underexposed.

I'll let more experienced portrait folks discuss the poses. But the DOF and lighting just don't work for me in the last 3.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:55 AM   #8

Hi John,

Thanks for the comment. Help me understand the shot better, because I tried to avoid the DOF problem.

I shot this at 3.2f with a flash from about 10 feet away with a full frame camera at 85mm.

Using a DOF calculator, I had a DOF of .75 feet in total. (9.62 near, 10.4).

I tried to get the girls heads on the same plane so they would be equidistant from the camera, or at least inside the .75 feet. Still, I botched the shot.

What did I do wrong? I think I had all the right ideas in my head, but the end result was not what I wanted. So where'd it get away from me?

Please don't think I'm trying to argue with you. I'm agreeing with you. I truly didn't expect the DOF to be a problem.

Thanks for your help!

FP
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:05 PM   #9

FP - I wish I had a great answer for you. Sadly, I do not. But it's why I just don't risk it - I always err on the side of caution when shooting multiple people. On my aps-h sensor I would probably shoot that shot at f6.3-f8. Shots always look good on the LCD - it isn't until you see them on the monitor afterwards that you see the OOF. Some people have an ability to shoot at shallow DOF and nail it. Now, one other possibility is: you could have a front focus issue. If you're consistently seeing results like that, it could be a problem worth investigating. For my part I'm willing to trade some of the nice bokeh to get sharp eyes -so I err on the side of caution.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 3:36 PM   #10

I tend to agree that you probably need a bit more DOF in all the shots but the first. The third would have really benefitted from smaller aperture, not only to improve sharpness of your subjects (mainly) but because the b/g is pretty much a blank wall, with nothing to become a distractor if it was sharper.
What were you using for lighting? The first picture seems a bit hot, with the faces quite pink in relation to the arms. Second shot is much better for illumination and color overall. Some of the shine on the girls' faces can be reduced with make-up. A quick touch-up would have done wonders for the foreheads especially.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote