Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:05 AM   #1

Default Baby announcement

My sister is pregnant and want some pictures. All taken with a olympus e-520 and kit lens. straight out of the camera jpg's with some cropping. what do you think?

dugger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:08 AM   #2

dugger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:25 PM   #3

She is so lovely looking and glowing. I would have taken at least a full card before I stopped. I like the heart she has made over the baby.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:29 PM   #4

The first one isn't bad but I'd have done it in portrait orientation so you wouldn't need to crop so close on the bottom.

Not sure about the pile of leaves though - it looks like she's made herself a nest and is going to hatch the baby
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:56 PM   #5

"it looks like she's made herself a nest and is going to hatch the baby "

If I had been sipping my coffee, I would have spit it out!!

Hilarious comment to a nice series

My only critique is the lighting on the face in the first pic takes away from rest of image, its almost too much of a contrast next to rest of the image
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 1:29 PM   #6

I agree with the above - the lighting in shot 1 is too over-the-top (if you were intentionally going for the whole "glow of motherhood" thing) or just plain too much if you weren't

The second shot could have benefited from fill flash. Too much shadow and honestly does a better job of hiding the pregnancy than drawing attention to it (again because of the shadows). It's also front focused - her leg and leaves in front are sharper than her face.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 1:39 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Just as a quick point of note, please only post one photo per thread in the critiques section so you can can get more detailed information on a photo for improvement.

Next point, congratulations to the mother to be and the uncle to be who took the photos, I'm sure there are many more photo ops on the way

It's been mentioned already, photo 1 is blown out on the skin tones. The highlight on an average face should be no more than 240 in the red channel (as a guide), here you are hitting 254 which is as good as no detail in the red or green channels and just a little left in the blue. This was a situation to ether shoot in manual exposure (there are many many situations to do this in reality) or to have changed location/position to improve the light. A bit extra space at the bottom of the frame wouldn't hurt as the legs are right up against it.

In the second shot, I would say you are slightly under exposed. The leaves are not working for me as we have lost the hand into them as well as a part of the legs. The pose in this isn't really working and as she is in the early stages the 'bump' isn't too clear. Possibly shooting more from the side and getting her to arch her back a bit might have helped bring attention to the tummy, however in a month or so things will be much easier and more obvious.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 2:09 PM   #8

congratulations but i dont see the images
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:38 PM   #9

simple, i do..
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:06 PM   #10

i see them now maybe try converting the first to b&w and play with the levels to pull some of the blown area back?

far from perfect but i think you get what i mean