Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 15, 2010, 8:44 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Wedding Rings and Perfume

Just back from today's wedding (shot one yesterday too) and thought I would give this a try. I like it but wonder what everyone else thinks, what could I do another time etc?
Attached Images

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2010, 9:08 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Mark, at first I thought the bottle of perfume seemed a bit out of place, until I noticed the label which says "Cherish"! Nice touch. I would have liked to have seen the rings placed closer to each other.. the distance between the engagement ring and the two wedding bands prioritizes distance. I think perhaps the two wedding bands (one resting on the other as you have shown it) by themselves would be ideal...i.e. skip the engagement ring...just MHO. Nice lighting and composition overall!

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:07 PM   #3

other than the fact that it seems a bit "doom and gloom" for a photo of wedding rings, it looks really nice. It's just that the subject matter doesn't match the mood that was set. IMO.

other than that, perfect.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:51 PM   #4
Super Moderator

i think its a classy shot myself.

my only critique is the bottle overpowers the scene. i think maybe placing the rings closer to the camera and adjusting perspective accordingly to put the emphasis on the rings would work nicely. but i really love the wood setting and the shot though.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 6:35 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Mark, at first I thought the bottle of perfume seemed a bit out of place, until I noticed the label which says "Cherish"! Nice touch. I would have liked to have seen the rings placed closer to each other.. the distance between the engagement ring and the two wedding bands prioritizes distance. I think perhaps the two wedding bands (one resting on the other as you have shown it) by themselves would be ideal...i.e. skip the engagement ring...just MHO. Nice lighting and composition overall!

Jehan
Thanks Jehan, I usually shoot the bottle perfume separately from the ring shot but decided to try this for a change as I was short on time. The bride usually has special perfume for the day so it's good to capture that as a part of the story..... same with shoes etc. I see what you mean about the engagement ring, I can't clone out on this one but have some other ones that I might be able to do so on.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 6:52 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
other than the fact that it seems a bit "doom and gloom" for a photo of wedding rings, it looks really nice. It's just that the subject matter doesn't match the mood that was set. IMO.

other than that, perfect.
Thanks for the comment, and I'm pleased it is almost perfect LOL

Just curious what makes it doom and gloom? Is it that it is on the dark table?

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 6:54 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
i think its a classy shot myself.

my only critique is the bottle overpowers the scene. i think maybe placing the rings closer to the camera and adjusting perspective accordingly to put the emphasis on the rings would work nicely. but i really love the wood setting and the shot though.
Good idea about bringing the main rings forward, I honestly didn't think of that as just needed to get this shot done quickly. I was very pleased when I went into the room and saw the lovely table as knew this would be good for some reflections of important elements

Thanks Dustin.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 10:30 AM   #8

what i meant was that it seemed dark for a wedding ring/perfume photo. I am really nitpicking here..
Old Oct 16, 2010, 11:15 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
what i meant was that it seemed dark for a wedding ring/perfume photo. I am really nitpicking here..
It's fine, I need nitpicking as I want to move up a level so the eyes of others help me see something I might have not considered. Thanks for the input!

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 1:47 PM   #10

I like the idea of getting this type of intimate shot before or maybe after the wedding (?). I also like the texture of the wood and the reflexion, but there's one thing that I'm not very happy seeing this photo: you have inclined the camera when taking it and the objects kind of look like they're gonna slip out of the picture.
If the texture of the wood wouldn't have been so obvious, maybe I wouldn't have had this feeling. I mean if it was a solid surface, maybe it would've looked better even if it is inclined, but not here.
I'm sorry if I was too harsh with my comment, but it's just what I felt when looking at the photo.