Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:11 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 473
Default Giant pink cupcake

I would love tips on doing this type of photo. I did run it through Martin's AutoHDR program.

A couple of critiques on myself to start off -
I shouldn't have gotten the computer monitor or photo frame in the background at the right. The following post will show a cropped version of it but I feel like it leaves out the breadth of the rows of cupcakes. I don't know. What do you think? Cropped or not?
Also, the jpeg compression added some artifacts in the background I think.

Any other tips on the technical aspects of taking the photo or pp? I'm sure that there are plenty!
Attached Images
 
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:12 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 473
Default

here's a cropped one
Attached Images
 
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:31 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
VTphotog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Extreme Northeastern Vermont, USA
Posts: 4,234
Default

Why not crop from just above the top of the cupcake in the left of the frame, to where you have done on the right? This would more nearly fill the frame with the cupcakes, which is what you want to show.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:26 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Wingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Posts: 4,327
Default

I would consider the following:

1.Eliminate the clutter in the back ground. Keep the empahsis on the cupcake.
2.Use some softer (difused) lighting. The harsh lighting is causing distracing shadows and the glare from the frosting does not make the cupcake look apetizing.
3. Try to get the entire cupcake in focus (use a smaller aperture)
4. Clean up the crumbs and also the plate
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
I would consider the following:

1.Eliminate the clutter in the back ground. Keep the empahsis on the cupcake.
2.Use some softer (difused) lighting. The harsh lighting is causing distracing shadows and the glare from the frosting does not make the cupcake look apetizing.
3. Try to get the entire cupcake in focus (use a smaller aperture)
4. Clean up the crumbs and also the plate
Thanks! I noticed some of those things myself...like the lower part of the frosting being out of focus. I wish I could have discerned that on my LCD at the time. The other things I just couldn't do logistically. This was right before the party started and we were about to leave to take the boys to a museum. I may go back and use gimp resynthesizer to get rid of crumbs and mess with the light. I like how the light looks from the center of the main cupcake all the way to the right but the orangeish tint of the left side doesn't look good.

Last edited by DigMe; Oct 19, 2010 at 12:35 PM.
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:34 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Why not crop from just above the top of the cupcake in the left of the frame, to where you have done on the right? This would more nearly fill the frame with the cupcakes, which is what you want to show.

brian
One reason is that I didn't want to put the focused cupcake out of the center of the picture.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:04 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
VTphotog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Extreme Northeastern Vermont, USA
Posts: 4,234
Default

Very often, you end up with a more effective photo if the subject is not centered. Try doing a search for Rule of Thirds, to see a better explanation. Not that we always have to go by the rules, but knowing them is key to knowing when to break them.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:24 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 516
Default

just a thought, hope you don't mind my borrowing the pic.



Last edited by lisalonewolf; Oct 19, 2010 at 1:28 PM. Reason: place pic
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:29 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 516
Default

lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:44 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Very often, you end up with a more effective photo if the subject is not centered. Try doing a search for Rule of Thirds, to see a better explanation. Not that we always have to go by the rules, but knowing them is key to knowing when to break them.

brian

I am familiar with the rule of thirds but for this shot I wanted it centered.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:49 PM.