Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:05 AM   #1

Default Setting Full Moon in the Fall

I went out early today to take sunrise pics but saw the setting full moon instead.

I zoomed in max at 200mm, then processed the landscape, the moon, and sky separately. All are from a single RAW image.

This isn't HDR as the moon moved between frames and noise (from the maxed out zoom, I think) was amplified when I tried DPHDR.

I was reading an article from this month's issue of Popular Photography on how to adjust contrast and fix color by using the curves tool (the histogram). So I used the curves tool to adjust brightness and contrast in this pic. But I didn't use it to fix colors. I found the hue and saturation sliders still easier to use to correct color.

If you're like me who hasn't used the curves tool before, I recommend reading the article. It's very short and full of illustrations. To echo the article's conclusion, "Once you get the hang of it (curves tool), you may never go back to sliders."
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2010, 9:44 PM   #2

Nice shot, I like how you processed it. For some reason I don't particularly get along with curves in Photoshop. I use it all the time in LR, but I get along better with levels in photoshop. It's not as elegant and you can control curves much more - it's a much better tool, but I just don't have the right feel for it.

From this shot I think you don't have the same trouble - this is beautiful.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 4:33 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I like the look and it's a pretty unique scene, however with the moon almost slap bang in the middle it loses a lot of the impact which is a shame.

As for the curves thing, I'm usually processing too many images too quickly to get into it and just go for levels. I need to move to LR for all the processing I do but haven't gotten around to putting the time into learning it (I've only recently moved from shooting jpg to RAW and using Paintshop Pro to Photoshop CS3 LOL).

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:40 AM   #4

Thanks, mtngal and Mark1616.

Off to the side? I didn't think of that. I'll try it the next time around.

I appreciate your taking the time to share your experiences re sliders/curves. It's valuable for me to know how others who are more experienced than me do things. Thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:53 AM   #5
Super Moderator

LOL, not sure about more experienced, just when processing lots of images it has to be quick and good enough, not perfect. If I'm doing a single one for print, large size then I take more time. In an album then all I want is uniformity (OK and accuracy) but time doesn't allow getting too intricate on each shot.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:51 PM   #6

You have more than 5,000 posts than I do -- that counts for something . Plus I have high regard for your pics, too.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 3:49 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
You have more than 5,000 posts than I do -- that counts for something . Plus I have high regard for your pics, too.
Don't let the 5,000 posts fool you..... anyone can write lots and say nothing helpful Having regard for someone pics is much more important and I'm pleased you like what I produce

I hope you get a chance to try something similar again as it's great!

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 1:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Don't let the 5,000 posts fool you..... anyone can write lots and say nothing helpful ...
I'm sure many will differ...

#2) This was shot a few minutes earlier (my first bracket) when the setting moon was still a little higher. I reduced the landscape in the foreground in size making the moon bigger, moved the moon to the right, applied a little bit of Topaz Clean on the foreground, and sharpened the moon some more. I noticed that increasing CS3's sharpening radius from 0.3 which was what I've been using to 0.5 gave the the moon more detail.