Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 23, 2010, 9:52 PM   #1

Default Trial run

Level of experience zero
Camera Konika Minolta 7D
I left everything on automatic as I have no clue yet...Could I have changed something and maybe (well since it is a photo of a frog on a pond) changed the composition? anyway any critique will be appreciated. Thanks..Next time I will perhaps move one of those little dials or something.....but the camera seems to do OK on its own.
Attached Images

hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:40 PM   #2

First, focus in on the frog...then work on the exposure...f stop wise...etc. How much experience do you have with photo? How much you have with this camera? Read through the manual to understand each of what your camera does. Then Play with it.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 2:26 AM   #3

actually I just started taking photos with this used KM 7D my kids got me on my last birthday. but have no prior experience. Sadly it shows The camera let me take about 60 pics and started hanging up or something, FFB was the diagnosis and it has been sitting untouched for about a year. Finally I got off my posterior and sent it off a couple of days ago for repair, (sony said for free and I jumped on it). Now I patiently wait for its return, and while doing so I am reading postings on this site just to learn what termonology means and what I should be doing when I get it back to actually learn the basic stuff. It seems like a lot of things to learn.Any way, the answers to your questions are none and none. I did however happen to find a downloadable owners manual on line that might help, and I think a basic photography course would help also. This site rocks though. as there is an abundenance of information to be had for free so onward I go, tally ho...thanks for the critique, F stop Hummm, will have to find out if I have one of those.......and that was as exposed as the frog would get with out some kind of release form,,, [sorry could not resist the pun]

Last edited by hkmp50; Oct 24, 2010 at 2:37 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 7:47 AM   #4

It took me 5 minutes to find the frog...photo is a bit over-exposed and not much contrast !

Something that a lot of pros have told me is never leave a dSLR on automatic...
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:05 AM   #5

If you go to the Steve's Digicams home page, and click on 'featured articles', there is quite a lot of info available for starting out. Definitely something to do while waiting for your camera.
Reading the critiques in this section is a good way to get acquainted with rules of composition and exposure (and also why they are more in the way of guidelines than rules).
It can all be intimidating at first, with having to learn the terminology, and reasons for doing things one way or another. Starting out with a DSLR, you will find there is a lot to learn in order to get good photos. It allows more flexibility, and ultimately will give you better pictures than small point and shoot cameras, but you will have to put more thought and effort in order to do so.
Feel free to ask any questions in the forums. We were all beginners once.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:11 AM   #6

As a photo I dont know, as a piece of artwork, it has more interest to me.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 1:21 PM   #7

A filter might be appropriate for this kind of a shot. A circular polarizing filter will take the shine out of the water, allowing a better exposure.

As an absolute rookie myself, I'll repeat some good advice I read: "There's 100 years of photographic experience built into the "AUTO" mode, so don't be afraid to use it."

But you will find situations where "AUTO" doesn't take the picture you want. It's good, but it isn't a mind reader.

I prefer what you might call "semi-auto" - I shoot with aperture priority mode and let the camera figure out the shutter speed, and mostly the ISO setting.

Some shoot with full manual control. This is handy for myself under very specific conditions, but mostly not.

Good luck with the new hobby! You've found a great site with a lot of kind, patient, and helpful people.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 3:38 PM   #8

MARAWDER,
LOL at the frog hunt, it took me longer than that!
BRIAN,
as usual you have hit the nail on the head, I am currently reviewing and learning the termonology posted on the site by using the dictionary page, (as good of a place to start as any). Thanks for the support. I really appreciate your involvment, and your sacrifice of time to help some one you don't even know. That speaks volumes about your charactor!
Bynx,
Thank you for your touch up can you let me know how you do that? Did you use a particular program? I have a program called Dimage for my camera I got a couple of days ago and have yet to open it. I (of course) thought that changing the pic by manipulation would be akin to cheating or something...It certainly made a difference and brought out things I had not even noticed in the pic. By the way when you said "piece of artwork" as opposed to a " photo "could you explain what the difference is? I appreciate your comment and your effort to show me the difference using a program to enhance it.
Iowa Jim,
Thank you for posting, You may consider yourself a rookie, but I see an underlying stream of wisdom in your critique!
Old Oct 24, 2010, 3:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkmp50 View Post
MARAWDER,
By the way when you said "piece of artwork" as opposed to a " photo "could you explain what the difference is?
If I may > 'piece of artwork' as in painting... Look closely at how he processed the image...it would look better at the Louvre than in a photo gallerry !
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 4:58 PM   #10

Marawder, thats the most flattering thing I have heard in years>The Louvre< I am afraid that they would not use this if the rest of their collection had burned in a flash fire! LOL would that make me a photographic painter??? Intresting concept! I wonder if there is such a thing?