Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:52 AM   #1

Default Input appreciated....

As I shared previously, I'm doing a lot more contributing to my wife's INTERNET business. Here is a new line she crafted, and my first attempt at presenting it. It's a purse fob.....whatever that is??????

Anyway, I'd love and really appreciate some help and feedback if you'd be so kind

eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2010, 9:56 AM   #2

In a product shot, you want to have the entire product in the frame and in focus. The first shot clips the top of the fob, which is just going to make people wonder what the top looks like. In the second photo, the mirrored reflection of the pendant is visually confusing and the furthest pendant not clearly visible. Remember, people are trying to decide whether they like the object, not the photograph. Finally, I would think that it might be helpful to have something in the photo that would help people visualize the size of the fob. Sometimes, you can communicate that in text adequately, by indicating the total length, but it is easier for people to see than to imagine size.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 1:13 PM   #3

I don't know but it may be better if you showed it attached to a really nice purse to kind of show it in relation to the item it is supposed to used with. Maybe your wife has a purse that she is selling also so the photo would do a double duty. Nice set up on the rocks but I don't see the relationship. I hope my wife doesn't see this though as she is into stuff like this......
Frank
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 1:48 PM   #4

I agree...

Less art, more product...

The idea of having it hanging from a purse is excellent but be sure that you are cropped
in tight on the product without cutting any part of it off... You could even do two views...
One wide angle including the whole puse showing how nice it looks in use, the other a tight
crop showing close detail of the item...

Last edited by Wizzard0003; Oct 29, 2010 at 1:51 PM.
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 3:16 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I agree with the above. The idea of having it attached to a nice purse is a good idea, they we clearly know what its purpose is and how big it is.

Also, I think going a bit brighter and punching up the colors a bit would help to. You want it as inviting as possible.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 3:57 PM   #6

It's funny that (at least I assume) all the opinions so far are from men...

Wonder what, if anything, the ladies might have to say about this...?
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 4:43 PM   #7

not just a purse but all these darn back packs they would make a great way of identifying the bags that look alike... Those are great but as it is said visible and course the back prop does lead the eye to wonder whats up top.... so is there a website we can go to ?
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 7:51 PM   #8

AWESOME feedback all THANKS

Here is one of the her sites, she has a total of 3. She makes the beads herself, in a flame she melts the glass and sculpts it into shapes, figures, and designs. Its call "Lampwork" a very old form of bead making that originated in the Mediterranean area. My job is to take pictures, edit, write text (with technical input from her) and publish to the site. Each piece is unique, no two exactly alike, so I have to take pictures of everyone, no mass produced stuff here.
Again, I really appreciate the kind help!

Oh SharpShotGal....we could do a strap for cameras too, ya think?

http://www.etsy.com/shop/deniseannette
eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2010, 2:54 PM   #9

Yea that too would look nice and then every one becomes a suspect for fingering the Hub of our lives just so they can admire the Lampwork.... She sure has a nice set of work there..... I am going to print up a few pages for her site so I can take it to the two groups I go to on is the Kitsap Spinners and Weavers and the other is local bunch of women that do Quilting with a lot of work based in Appliquéd pieces... I have a few in my own mind that I need to start really working on involving country singers.... its a work of art up there in my mind thats for sure... Capturing life is just another form... Wishes I could capture what I see so others can see it as well....working on it though.... Greta site there by the way.... I love it all and will remember her when I do some of the scarves ... the light weight ones need weight to help stay put when worn...
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 5:26 AM   #10

I would also agree that putting it next to something, like the purse that was suggested, would help for a size comparison. I would keep in mind that purses vary greatly in size so you might want to also include something maybe peeking out of the purse just a bit, like a pair of sunglasses, just something of a somewhat universal size to scale by.
purpleehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote