Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:13 PM   #1

Default Another go gang?

With all the wonderful advice you guys gave me, I tried incorporating it into tonight's picture product taking. How did I do here, remember, this bead is only about 15 mm tall, the detail she exhibits in such a small bead is amazing, I have to (try) capture that, but people always remark when they see her work in person, the detail is unbelievable.

Thanks again all!

ps: Perhaps I should approach her with the idea of awarding a bead for the best advice
eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2010, 12:42 AM   #2

Eddie, once again I have to say that the background is a bit distracting. One reason is that I find myself trying to figure out what it is. Maybe a small pedestal (in better focus) on a solid background?
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 1:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C View Post
Eddie, once again I have to say that the background is a bit distracting. One reason is that I find myself trying to figure out what it is. Maybe a small pedestal (in better focus) on a solid background?
Walter....why are you trying to figure out the background? I tried a very subtle, more neutral one. Perhaps the product holds no interest to you and therein lies the problem. I feel if the product interest you (the viewer) why would you care to the BG if it doesn't impinge on your ability to decide if you like it (the product) and want to purchase it.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 3:47 AM   #4

I think Walter is right. If the background gets you to wondering what it is, then the focus of the object is dilluted somewhat. In this case the object is all we should be thinking about. The background should be completely neutral with a nice complimentary color that doesnt clash with the object and allows it to stand out. Now with the good focus job and difference in colors the background does push the object forward. But the green shape is somewhat distracting. Like the picture is a part of something larger. And so I want to see what it is.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 5:49 AM   #5

Same opinion here. The background is distracting. Something like this can help you a lot:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PHOTO-TENT-S...item483d5756e2
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:44 AM   #6

eddie, while you may be right about the subject interesting you, if you have someone "on the fence" as to if they are interested in the product or not, the background will loose them. Going completely solid in textures and color of the background would really help. With a product as small as 15mm, even a small change in background will catch a person's eye.

btw, if you didnt say just how small that really was, i never would have known. that detail is amazing.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 4:58 PM   #7

OK....back to the drawing board.
Funny thing, my wife is the one who wants a BG, and she likes them where they have elements to the frame too, distracting, I dunno?
I'll try some pixs without any BG other than a flat color, and I'll see what she says.

Thanks again guys!
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:44 PM   #8

Here is a thimble. Its probably about the same size as the bead. Its just sitting on a piece of lettersize paper that curves from top to bottom. Lit from the sides there is no background or much shadow even from the object. All emphasis is on the thimble. I think you want something simple like this.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:53 PM   #9

Well Eddie I am going to have to disagree with the others on this particular one. For a couple of reasons.
1. The back ground has a hint of the effect I would be looking for in a photo of this sort, at least for advertising purposes. It is looking some what of a winter scene, with a snow flake and a frozen pond that the (exceptionally well done) piece is on. I find that it blends well enough together as the colors do not clash with each other, and that is a good improvenent!
2. The cat is setting at an angle that shows the most detail of the piece over all. again, well done and shows improvement.
3. Although perfection may be your goal, the major audience of your catalog will not be viewing it from a photographers insight, so don't be too hard on yourself for not meeting the standards you may feel are being set in this critique. They are after all matters of opinion, (and you could not ask for a better group of people to give you their honest opinion) given on a techiical base not necessarly from an advertising view.
4. I rarely see in any major advertising, a plain background behind a product. Almost all have something closely related to the main focal point to accent the product if it is done well.Example: a babys diaper, almost always seen with a baby attached at some point, or a dog food shot, you get a bowl and a dog with it... Sure you may see some pretty stark stuff on E-bay , but you can tell it is not very professional looking. If that is what you are after you could just dismiss the whole background thing and shoot a bland or blank background shot, but from what I can tell, you are looking for some charactor in your shots as well, helping set up the piece you are selling.
4. I asked my wife what she thought about the photo and from a laymans point of view, she commented highly on the over all layout. She said it looked christmissy (what ever that means).

Anyway, I can see you are improving so keep going in the direction you are headed, and remember sometimes less is more.. Thanks for sharing, I think you hit this one spot on. Just my humble opinion.....

Frank

Last edited by hkmp50; Nov 7, 2010 at 10:02 PM.
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:56 PM   #10

I will say that the flat gray stand is distracting but the snowflakes in the background add to the object of interest in the photo, if the whole background could be the light snowflakes i think it would be great.
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote