Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:35 PM   #1

Default resting place

OK, this was an old pic taken on a mountain walk with an older camera. the particulars are gone off the info section as I lost the origional and had to download it back off web-shots, anyway the point of the post is is there a way to take a shot like this without the really bright spot at the right of the really big rock, should I get an uv lens, and how much does something like that affect the overall quality of the shot?

hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:10 AM   #2

A UV filter will not do anything for a photo, it's basic purpose is to protect your lens and many even doubt that. A ND filter would have helped cut the brightness. I don't think a CP would have helped as it looks like it was shot into the sun.
donp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:41 AM   #3

A UV filter won't help with a digital camera. With film, it can keep from overexposing the highlights, because the film is more sensitive to those wavelengths and can wash out more easily. In this case, the possible solutions would be to take a bracketed series from a tripod, and create a HDR image, or to use some negative exposure compensation to prevent the highlights from being blown out, and then adjusting the shadows with an image editor

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 12:08 PM   #4

Regarding the photo, that is a very lovely scene...well "seen".
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:43 PM   #5

Thank you all for the info.
As I remember the question of the UV filter is actually kind of moot as it was an olimpus P/S camera. But as Brian pointed out shooting into the sun is definalely not a good Idea. Thanks Walter for the complement on the composition.
What I learned on this posting is, dont shoot into the sun, UV filters are not a cure for shooting nto the sun, and get a tripod so I can bracket some pics. Also maybe shoot in the AM if you are traveling West...
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote