Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:46 AM   #1

Default what do you think?

So what do you think of this photo? i was taking shots in the yard and came across this flower, but I cropped so that only this area was showing..... I liked the color and the way the leaves were shaped.... I think it may be too bright. Should I have done something to get better color?

kailona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2010, 6:07 AM   #2

Its an interesting shot to say the least....Your DOF is so shallow there is not very much of an area in focus and there are some hot spots, but the colors are neat...If I were a bumble bee, I would be all over this....
Old Nov 8, 2010, 7:02 AM   #3

Red is the worst color to try to get right. As mentioned the dof is off so that also doesnt help. I can only see this pic as a ghosted background for the sale of jewellery at Valentines Day, Mother's Day or even Christmas.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:30 AM   #4

The highlights seem to be tending towards blue, which makes me think that the auto white balance was thrown off some by there being too much red in the shot. Probably would have been more accurate if you had used manual WB.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 4:29 PM   #5

thanks for the feedback.... so with regards to WB, Brian on my d90 how would I be able to adjust..... was playing around with the settings and can't remember what I set the WB to. Do I leave on Auto, preset Manual, or set it at the presets such as shade, incandescent, etc....... I'm still learning to use all the functions and your help is greatly appreciated.

btw, here is the original..... and there were a ton of bees (which I am most afraid of) so I was snapping quickly in aperture mode....

kailona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:31 PM   #6

Not really sure it would have mattered in this case - was basing my opinion on the cropped shot. Possibly the daylight WB would have given you a bit warmer overall look.
At this point, it is hard for me to tell, as I'm working on my laptop, and don't quite trust the colors.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote