Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 15, 2010, 6:45 PM   #21

C'mon Mark, we can't all be as awesome as you.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 6:53 PM   #22
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete View Post
C'mon Mark, we can't all be as awesome as you.
LOL, I wouldn't go that far, I've a very long way to go still, especially in those early shots.

One thing I didn't say, I also find it easier to work with a longer lens when shooting kids, it makes me less in their face and they can get on with being themselves, having fun and not being uncomfortable.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:25 PM   #23

I was kinda kidding (not to say you aren't good- you know what I mean), but they are still inspiring.

I would say short vs long depends on what the kid is like and what glass you have. With my one experience with this one year old I started with a standard telephoto (Tamron 70-300mm) and it was too slow (mainly focussing speed but also fstop) for this active child and the girl was always crawling near me so the short was better.
But whenever I do outdoor shots of my brothers, I like the tamron because they are old enough (ages 10-15) to feel self concious when I'm close. Plus they don't move erratically like the one year old.
JMHO, as you know I am a newbie at this too.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:12 PM   #24

Liking the last one better. Nice clear definition in the eyes. Head turned slightly with body turned gives it depth. Now if you had that expression in the first photo in the last shot wou would have a clear winner! Kids can be quite difficult to get a decent shot of! I have personally been blessed by two that are so different when the camera comes out. My 11 YO daughter is always ready, my 9 YO son is another story, the only way I can get a smile out of him is with a long lens and he doenst know Im taking pictures. Ive also shot kids with the "Cheesy" smiles.........thats a hard habit to break.....
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:04 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
LOL, I wouldn't go that far, I've a very long way to go still, especially in those early shots.

One thing I didn't say, I also find it easier to work with a longer lens when shooting kids, it makes me less in their face and they can get on with being themselves, having fun and not being uncomfortable.
I think mrpete is on to something tho, I've peeked in on a few of your threads and you really have some great shots

I'll work more with the play shots. I don't so much try to pose her as I do have her stay in one place for more than half a second facing me. I do have a thousand pictures of her playing in the front yard. Of course these all involve her looking down or her turning her back to me (yes, even when I change positions, lol). If she's not in a chair, she spins in a circle.

I also tried using the longer lens. It forced me to take my external off the camera to use it which I've never done before because I'm a bit clueless. But I liked the results, well, at least to me they looked better. I bounced off the wall behind me (we have angled ceilings so it works better).

I found she's much more willing to pose if one of her best friends are in the picture with her (she only has about 20 of them...and, yes, they all have names.)

This is Spicy, the huggy bear. She wanted him because he was pink like her pants. We had just come inside and I forgot to take it off -.3 EV. I'm thinking of cropping out her feet because they are out of focus. There was a shot where her hand wasn't over the bear's face, but we had a costume failure and her belly was completely hanging out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
Liking the last one better. Nice clear definition in the eyes. Head turned slightly with body turned gives it depth. Now if you had that expression in the first photo in the last shot wou would have a clear winner! Kids can be quite difficult to get a decent shot of! I have personally been blessed by two that are so different when the camera comes out. My 11 YO daughter is always ready, my 9 YO son is another story, the only way I can get a smile out of him is with a long lens and he doenst know Im taking pictures. Ive also shot kids with the "Cheesy" smiles.........thats a hard habit to break.....
I know, if she would have only smiled a little more... I've never tell her to say cheese, but she did pick it up somewhere so I had to break her of the habit. I tell her to say her new favorite word, chocolate but she says it like chalk-o-lot-tay so she doesn't get the cheesy grin so much. Sometimes it also works to say, 'awwe, your so pretty.' Or lately, if she hears the shutter go off a few times in continuous mode she giggles.

My son was a ham. He would pose and goof off for the camera. He'd practice making different faces, being sad, happy, mad, etc. He was easy, until he decided it wasn't cool anymore. Now I get the eye roll (he's 10).

This is a bit unrelated, but he took this picture (I don't think he did too bad):

Thanks for the tips! I'll keep trying...
purpleehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 6:34 AM   #26

Children take a lot patience to get good pictures and to get them to look natural to. I wouldnt use such a shallow dof 500th is easily fast enough. Try and let them get used to you and the camera and take lots of shots.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote