Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 9, 2010, 6:50 PM   #1

Default Last o' the season....

Snow level has dropped to 2000 feet today, lowering overnight, and getting colder. Frost at sea level will soon be here. The hard rain has really played havoc on my dahlias late in the season, stunting their productivity....These might be the last I post for the year. I hope you enjoy them, I know I did, even tho it wasn't a bumper crop. Please feel free to critique this set, I have all winter to process your suggestions

eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:24 PM   #2

Hi Eddie, I really haven't looked at too many of your flower pics, but if this is an example of them I am seriously thinking mine will never get posted if they have to compete. Dang, Ok first do you use a black velvet background? how do you get set up? Before or after you get the flowers? How long do you have to work on them after they are cut to still look fresh? Didn't you post the one smooth as a babys butt, that was an awsome pic also. Man they all look so smooth and vibrant. I cannot seem to find anything wrong.
# 1 perfect!
# 2 Sweet!
# 3 well, perfect!

Maybe you could use this same technique on your wife's bead work. It is worth at least a try.

Frank

Last edited by hkmp50; Nov 9, 2010 at 9:27 PM.
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:37 PM   #3

As always they are great I am sure you could sure make a Calendar out of your shots. But they are just Mumms so did you grab some daffs and Tulips ... I should bring you some of the Daisies of mine so you can have them in the garden for just the same kind of treatment you gave the others... that would be the best.
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkmp50 View Post
Hi Eddie, I really haven't looked at too many of your flower pics, but if this is an example of them I am seriously thinking mine will never get posted if they have to compete. Dang, Ok first do you use a black velvet background? how do you get set up? Before or after you get the flowers? How long do you have to work on them after they are cut to still look fresh? Didn't you post the one smooth as a babys butt, that was an awsome pic also. Man they all look so smooth and vibrant. I cannot seem to find anything wrong.
# 1 perfect!
# 2 Sweet!
# 3 well, perfect!

Maybe you could use this same technique on your wife's bead work. It is worth at least a try.

Frank
I use a black BG of plain old poster board. Most flowers last days, if you pick them before they start to wilt. Often the flower will continue to open and display another look to it, that is worthy of another session. I too will trim a flower, removing certain elements that don't add anything or obstruct a better view of the different parts of a flower, lighting to, or lack of, can add another perspective to the flower.
As to the bead work, I don't have the luxury of investing time into each shot, its more like an assembly line. I have to get 2-4 workable shots of each bead, then edit and publish to her sites, I also write her text, and each and every bead requires this, as no two are the same, and I have 6 to 30 beads per night to do, AND, photograph and send special orders to the purchaser before shipping, AND, I do shipping from my computer too, weighing, addressing, printing the postage and shipping label, etc....and if I don't screw anything up, I get a glass of milk before bedtime to sooth my ulcer
Not really, by me doing this it keeps her in the "flame" creating, and that is the first domino that has to fall.
Of note, people who buy her beads "know" beads, they buy them to create and sell their own jewelry designs, often a bead sells minutes after I post it. It's not like I'm shooting a catalog picture that will be there forever, its up, and gone......hopefully
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpShotGal View Post
As always they are great I am sure you could sure make a Calendar out of your shots. But they are just Mumms so did you grab some daffs and Tulips ... I should bring you some of the Daisies of mine so you can have them in the garden for just the same kind of treatment you gave the others... that would be the best.
C'mon....u didn't see my daffs this year? Or my tulips? Or my daisy's (weeds) I ain't speaking to youz no more (after this reply).
Tulip portraits are a very tuff flower to get because of their shape. They do good in groups, but the real beauty of them is inside....I have pulled apart a few petals to get to the growth inside them, but it has its limits. When the petals finally open wide enuff, the color and texture is on the wane.....bummer!
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:39 PM   #6

Thanks for the tips on the flowers Eddie, I will apply them when I shoot a flower. I especially like the idea of trimming it up, that only makes sense, as I haave trimmed some uhh "flowers" back in the day,(30 years or so ago), they always looked better.
I never would have dreamed there was so much work on your end concerning the bead trade, you have my deepest respect. How do you ever find the time, isn't it distracting from your day job?
I would look into a flower calendar also like Sharpshotgal suggested. I would buy one.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for the tips on the flowers Eddie, I will apply them when I shoot a flower. I especially like the idea of trimming it up, that only makes sense, as I haave trimmed some uhh "flowers" back in the day,(30 years or so ago), they always looked better.
I never would have dreamed there was so much work on your end concerning the bead trade, you have my deepest respect. How do you ever find the time, isn't it distracting from your day job?
I would look into a flower calendar also like Sharpshotgal suggested. I would buy one.
Day job...HA, as of 3 weeks ago, this economy caught up with me. First time in my life I ever got laid off due to lack of work. I guess the summer of recovery missed me
I will most likely start up my own plumbing business, service, repair, small time (just me) as new construction has really dried up, and at best, will take 12 to 18 months to even begin to show sustainable improvement.
In the mean time, perhaps a calender could help generate some pocket change. I think flowers tho would have too much competition, making a profit iffy at best. Perhaps I could do 12 poses in my speedos, now a out of shape 57 year old has been in leopard skin speedos....it gets your attention, yes?
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:24 AM   #8

Eddie you have etched an image in my mind that will take days to overcome LOL
I would not worry about the flower competition as I truly believe your photos are above and beyond the common everyday flower pics I see on calendars. Really dude give it some thought! I am not sure what the cost is to do something like that but I bet you could do something rather cheap to start with at Kinkos or somewhere like that. Please llet me know if ya do, cause I want one!
Frank

Oh by the way if you go into the plumbing business, PLEASE keep your belt on as I have seen too many plummers release the Kracken LOL
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Eddie you have etched an image in my mind that will take days to overcome LOL
I would not worry about the flower competition as I truly believe your photos are above and beyond the common everyday flower pics I see on calendars. Really dude give it some thought! I am not sure what the cost is to do something like that but I bet you could do something rather cheap to start with at Kinkos or somewhere like that. Please llet me know if ya do, cause I want one!
Frank

Oh by the way if you go into the plumbing business, PLEASE keep your belt on as I have seen too many plummers release the Kracken LOL
Yes...its been rumored crack kills

If I do Frank, you get to buy the first SIGNED one!
Old Nov 11, 2010, 1:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie haskell View Post
C'mon....u didn't see my daffs this year? Or my tulips? Or my daisy's (weeds) I ain't speaking to youz no more (after this reply).
Tulip portraits are a very tuff flower to get because of their shape. They do good in groups, but the real beauty of them is inside....I have pulled apart a few petals to get to the growth inside them, but it has its limits. When the petals finally open wide enuff, the color and texture is on the wane.....bummer!
My Daisies would beat yours by a long shot!! they grow to be 5 feet tall and are as big as my hands wide or bigger..... I did see them You should put them all in a album on your user CP! SO we don't have to go looking through threads or our own Statistics.

Last edited by SharpShotGal; Nov 11, 2010 at 1:05 PM.
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote