Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:05 AM   #1

Default Very green

Hi
I love taking pix and have wanted to enter contest before but after viewing other winners/entries have become intimidated. So i thought this might be the place to get some good feedback on my ablities. I have no formal training in photo and have ZERO experience in digital editing. The extent of my editing includes cropping and changing from color to BW. It is overwhelming. So i am depending on you guys to let me know where i should start. thanx
Attached Images

jenns eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2010, 6:12 AM   #2

Nice composition and color balance. Could be cropped a bit closer to remove some of the tree, and the excess over the head. The real problems with the pic are that the highlights are overexposed, and the face is a bit blurry.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:34 AM   #3

thanx for the help. i need to get to know my camera better
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:49 AM   #4

Might be wrong but it looks like you are using multi focus points...If this is the case, switch to center focus only and your camera won't go out and grab the first thing that is closest in your photo...When doing people, you need to focus on the eyes to get a good sharp portrait...Trust your auto white balance until you learn your camera better...Then play with the advanced settings in manual mode...There is a big learning curve so stick with it and your shots will come together and you will have those photo's that do say "WOW"....
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:53 AM   #5
Super Moderator

i agree here. highlights and wrong focal point. when shooting people, manually pick the focal point and always focus on the eye.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:05 PM   #6

Jenn.

Hi, just wanted to say something here, In my opinion you could not have picked a better place for help on your photos. In the month I have been here I have learned volumes of things that would have taken me much longer ( and maybe never at all), had I just used my own hit and miss method. In addition, I have been given many references to sites that pinpoint and clarify explanations posted, extremly helpfull! In my opinion these people here are both honest and kind in their critique which lets you learn with out being intimidated. There is much to learn in this field and what better way to do it than with new friends!.
Frank
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 4:19 PM   #7

ok so u guys are a big help and u are right Frank honesty and kindness nurture learning. Now more than ever i want to take some classes because i understand now how its not enough to have a good eye for composition but u really must know about the camera and how the settings work in what situations if u want "wow" pix.
what i liked about this pic is the contrast in the blue and green #1 and then i think i captured the expression well,too bad his face is blurry. so i should have focused on his eyes even though i didnt want to shoot him straight on? he had climbed half way up the tree and his brother was throwing him a rope swing. I see that concentration or surprise in his face. If it was not overexposed whould the colors have been as vibrant?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 4:45 PM   #8

Jenn....You can still focus on the subjects eyes and recompose the shot to get the effect you want...Just focus on the eyes or face, hold the shutter button half way, or how ever your camera tell you how, and recompose the shot and then shoot it...I am sure all cameras will focus lock and let you recompose...Read your manual and give it a try...I see what you were going for and the focus lock/recompose will do it for you...
john
Old Nov 12, 2010, 6:39 PM   #9

Having the eye for the picture comes first. The ability to 'see the picture', if it doesn't come naturally, is probably harder to learn than the technical details.
I don't think you really have to have technically perfect photos in order to submit to the photo contest. I have seen quite a few that weren't. I don't know who selects the shots, but it seems they look for something visually striking first. ( I think they may also pay some attention to the equipment used, so as not to seem biased toward one brand or type of camera, but that is just a guess, and a mix of subject matter may play a part too) Go ahead and 'give it your best shot' (ooh!).

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote