Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:36 AM   #1

Default purple rain

Playing around with the settings on this new cam. I hav no idea what most of them do. I selected a pinhole effect that is the only change i made from the auto settings i think. Should i have done something different
Attached Images

jenns eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:57 AM   #2

This shot isn't bad Jenn...Your focus is good on most of the flower...DOF is nice...Colors are good as well...The only thing I consider wrong here is there is no focal point...Sure its a flower and your showing water on the petals and the colors, but thats it...IMO if you had the whole flower to show shape or a bee or bird or something, it would have been more interesting...Just my opinion though...
Old Nov 12, 2010, 2:19 PM   #3

Jenn,

While not being quite up to snuff enough to critique on your camera settings, (I do not even know what camera you are using), I have some of the same type of shots of flowers as you have taken here. I was not really satisfied with them as they look like a bunch of flower tops. Even if in focus they all look the same. I am trying to do something better with them by maybe picking one and focusing on it individually as a single, that way I have one flower that takes prescident in the picture. Single flowers can be much more intresting sometimes than bunches if they are all alike. I know a bunch growing outside looks good in a group as the extra color stands out better in the yard or where ever, but I got a tip from a really good flower photographer and really hope he sees these and comments on them for you to help with your project. Nice color in the flowers I can see why you wanted to capture them.
Frank
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 5:04 PM   #4

thanx for your input. I see your point
Old Nov 12, 2010, 5:51 PM   #5

Jenn...When I replied to your post I wanted to show you an example of the same type of flower shot but I was at work...Now home, here is how I shot it....Not as close as your macro version but, for me this gives a focal point to the flower showing the whole flower head with a little bit around it to give the main flower that "look at me" sorta feel...
Attached Images

Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:32 PM   #6

lower the angle of your camera a bit, and shoot for slightly lower down (similar to the example photo John posted ^^^). Pictures are almost always more interesting when the point of view is different from eye level, or a normal viewing angle. Flowers IMO are just like kids, shoot at your subjects' level.

Am i correct to assume that the "pinhole affect" only adds a vignette?

Last edited by ewheeler20; Nov 12, 2010 at 7:35 PM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:10 AM   #7

Great example John thanx. lots of good advice you guys thanx