Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 12, 2010, 2:15 AM   #1

Default gods voice

ok this is the last one for the night. Just wondering what u guys think of this. This was captured with my cell phone. We were watching the sunset outside this outdoor chapel after a hike and when i walked inside the chapel this is what i saw, just speechless at the time. I love it but wanted to know what others thought
Attached Images

jenns eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:43 AM   #2

Hello Jenns....I am sure you will get a lot of opinions on this post...Here's mine...It is an interesting photo...I don't get the "WOW" from it though...I guess you had to be there...Might be better black and white or with a bit of grain added...One thing, it's to bad your angle or the suns angle didn't include the cross in the shadows...Maybe not the "WOW" for me, but I do like it...
john
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:13 PM   #3

I think John has it just about right -- the problem with photographing something that has a big impact on you in real life is to reproduce that impact in the photograph. This just doesn't do it. Maybe a phone camera wouldn't be up to the job. But the other possibility is what John also intimated -- maybe changing the composition to better capture the impact would have made a memorable photograph. As it is, any impact from this photo is due to your memory of the experience, not due to the picture.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:33 PM   #4

I think the dynamic range of your cell phone is not great enough to capture what you were seeing, I would try another camera with better capabilities and maybe some extra lighting from a flash to light up the interior a little bit. It was however a great try with what you had availabe
Frank
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:35 PM   #5

At the risk of being unoriginal, I concur with the others. The best aspect of the image is the warm light tones on the brick. But the glare off the small window in the bottom left of the frame is distracting and the other components of the photo aren't particularly compelling. Don't feel bad though - it can be extremely difficult to capture in a photo what makes something we experience impactful to us.

It's like when I went to the Grand Canyon a few years back. You can't stand there for sunrise or sunset and not be in awe. Yet, when I reviewed my photos months later I realized I had simply failed to capture that majesty. To this day I'm not entirely certain what I should have done differently. Some people have a knack for being able to do that.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 5:34 PM   #6

Thanx u guys. I guess i was just so surprised that i could even get this out of a cell phone,ha. I was trying to get the cross to shadow on the wall but i think the way the light was coming in the window it just didnt fully appear. I think that is what we all on here want to accomplish is to show the world what our own God given "cameras"(eyes) see. Sometimes it just dosent get replicated. But that is what i strive for. looks like i have a long way to go but lots of fun getting there i am sure
jenns eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 1:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
It's like when I went to the Grand Canyon a few years back. You can't stand there for sunrise or sunset and not be in awe. Yet, when I reviewed my photos months later I realized I had simply failed to capture that majesty. To this day I'm not entirely certain what I should have done differently. Some people have a knack for being able to do that.
Correct me if I'm wrong, are we all not trying to capture the scene as we see it? Most of the time we are frustrated, and once in a while, we nail it. Or at least that's been MY experience.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 2:47 AM   #8
Super Moderator

i will just echo much of what has been said.

there are scenes that take our breath away. and then there are scenes that photograph well. these are not always, nor even usually, the same.

the trick to photography is learning to see not only with our own eyes, but through our cameras eyes as well.