Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:31 PM   #1

Default How about this one?

A few weeks ago I ran across this landscape, couldn't miss the chance to take some shots, but want to see what I could do better next time I find something like this.
Attached Images

schmiedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:51 PM   #2

Schmiedel, I am not proficent enough to actually do a critique but I can tell you I like the reflection! I would be pleased with it.
Frank
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:31 AM   #3

Nice photo. I would straighten the water line though. The tilt is a little distracting.

Cheers

Bernice
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:45 AM   #4

Thank you for your comments... About the tilt, I'm not sure. While I took it handheld and I just cannot be 100% sure it was taken straight, I feel that part of the tilt effect is because there was no even reference in the picture. How can I know without using any tool? Or, is it just a visual effect?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:51 AM   #5

My camera has a view finder and I use the bottom of it as a guide by lining up things like the horizon or the other side of water (or whatever) to be running parallel with that. Having said that I took a stack of photos at the sailing club the other day and had to fix the shoreline in my editing software. I'm a Mac user and my editor is Lemke Software's Graphic Converter. It has a rotate tool which comes in very handy in these situations.

Cheers

Bernice
Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:38 PM   #6

Is the tilt the shore line or a tilted camera? It's sometimes hard to say. One way to really tell is to use vertical lines instead of lake shorelines - check the sides of the building in the center. I do a lot of landscape and there's times when the only reference is the terrain, and its sloping. While the picture was taken on the level, the picture looks funny because of the sloping terrain. I've been known to go ahead and tilt it so that it looks right, if there's no man-made verical lines to make it obvious what I did. Is that the right thing to do? I don't know.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 12:53 AM   #7

Well,

I rotated the picture a bit and applied some contrast / color / sharpening corrections. I must say that rotated only 1 it looks better, have to say. Nevertheless, I'm still not quite sure that it's the correct position, but 1 error is hard to control handheld...
Attached Images

Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Is the tilt the shore line or a tilted camera? It's sometimes hard to say. One way to really tell is to use vertical lines instead of lake shorelines - check the sides of the building in the center. I do a lot of landscape and there's times when the only reference is the terrain, and its sloping. While the picture was taken on the level, the picture looks funny because of the sloping terrain. I've been known to go ahead and tilt it so that it looks right, if there's no man-made verical lines to make it obvious what I did. Is that the right thing to do? I don't know.
Great advice Mtngal, I will use it too if you don't mind

@ Schmiedal I am likeing it! good job PP. much better
Frank

Last edited by hkmp50; Nov 18, 2010 at 4:46 AM.
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:23 AM   #9

The second is very nice...!

At center of this image, on the extreme right shoreline, you have the surface of the
water where it seems to go around a bend... Put your horizontal reference line on
that to judge how level the image is... It looks pretty good in this second image...

BTW, here's a nice little "Free" tool for editing that you can use to straighten... It
gives you nice movable horizontal/vertical reference lines to work with...

FastStone Image Viewer 4.2
http://www.faststone.org/

Last edited by Wizzard0003; Nov 18, 2010 at 5:29 AM.
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 1:18 PM   #10

i like the reflection but the sky seems like empty..
carrollove is offline   Reply With Quote