Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:17 PM   #1

Default second try

I tried my hand at Roses tell me what you think.
Attached Images

dterry927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:16 PM   #2

Very nice.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:34 PM   #3

Looks good to me. I like my flowers with less (empty) green around them, especially if you have the flower in the center of frame - I'd probably crop these, and next time get closer/fill the frame more.

The third one has such pretty color. The one thing I sometimes find difficult/frustrating is getting the right dof -- its easy to use too big of an aperture and have part of your flower out of focus. Oftentimes I use too small an aperture and the ground ends up looking awful. Your third one doesn't show that at all - the ground is nicely out of focus, not jittery, and it looks like it would have been that way if you had used something smaller than your f5.6.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:37 PM   #4

Thanks for the Info I will have to work on these, I have been having problems getting good focus because of my eye glasses thinking of getting contacts to see if it helps.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:41 PM   #5

Are you manually focusing? I wear contacts most of the time, glasses the rest of the time. I have the camera's viewfinder adjusted to match them, not my eyesight. I don't find it's all that much different between the two (contacts are somewhat easier), and some viewfinders are better than others.

I do find manual focusing takes quite a bit of practice and it helps to keep working at it as it's possible (at least for me) to get out of practice and think something is right when it's not. I also like to use center focus point for flowers, since you usually get fairly close to them and you'll always know where the camera is going to focus (this doesn't always work right, but if you are manually focusing, it should get you in the ball park). Keep practicing.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 5:48 AM   #6

I am manually focusing but with glasses on its hard to get in the viewfinder, because the shape of my glasses. i will try that center focus on auto and see how it works. Thanks again.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 1:05 PM   #7

Try and get the main subject out of the center. Depending on your camera you may be able to manually select a different AF point. For these type shots I generally use a narrow DOF, just enough to make the main subject clearly in focus with the rest fading off into a blurry bliss. A lot of it has to do with angle, straight down doesnt yeild the best results and you can seldom separate the intended subject from the background.

Sample
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 8:49 PM   #8

ok thanks justin