Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:11 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
pj1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 2,914
Default Ultra wide angle HDR self portrait & landscape

Hi Photo Critique friends

Well, as the title says, I have attempted a combination of a number of things:
- taking an ultra wide angle photo
- including myself in the photo (tripod & timer used)
- combining 3 photos into 1 HDR image
- including some dramatic landscape (the beach was strewn with massive amounts of kelp)

As this was an early morning walk I was having along a rough and desserted beach, I thought it had potential to capture the feeling / mood - which to me was quite an interesting set of elements in this scene.

However I am not sure if I just like the photo because of the 'memory' it has allowed me to keep.

Therefore I ask for your opinions - i.e. if the combination of all of the listed things above 'works' for you (as third party 'impartial viewing' people).

I know that particularly taking 'people' photos using an ultra wide angle can create distortions / unusual perspectives. The camera/lens was facing / pointed quite down (to the ground) - that's why I had to kneel, otherwise my head was off the top of the photo.

Looking forward to your comments, feedback, suggested improvements and critique on any aspect of this image. Many thanks in advance.

Paul
Attached Images
 
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:28 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Bynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,585
Default

It seems to me that the camera was set up too high and is pointing downward too far. Lower down and more horizontal and you would have gotten more water, maybe even a horizon. This shot is similar to the one with the girl in the field done with fisheye lens. She, being close, is not distorted while background has a nice shape to it. I think the same would apply here as long as you stayed close to the camera. What I dont like about this shot is the position you are in. Looks like you are sitting on the crapper.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 8:51 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Minneapolis MN, USA
Posts: 187
Default

Hi Paul,

You have a great smile and look photogenic (Put me in the picture usually makes it worse). The landscape is nice but the angle of the self-portrait does not work for me ether, the wide angle makes you head look big. There is reddish color on your face like you have a bad sunburn. The sand in the circle of sea weed looks unusually bight compared with the rest of the beach.

Tom
schent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
condorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cornwall England and Gorges du Lot France
Posts: 1,019
Default

Hi Paul, Nice to see you, you look like your having a great time, good to see.
I like the landscape perspective. I am surprised at you using the wide angle for a portrait as you like pics to have a real look. Personally though I feel it has a fun distorted feel, it looks like you are sat on an invisible toilet and I like that, it makes me laugh. If that was the intention it's great fun. If it were me I would have probably tried it with a toilet roll in my hand as that would have made it really fun. I would put this on my digital picture frame as i bet it would grab attention and get some comments.
How wide is your lens Paul?
Nice long sandy beach and not a soul in sight.Great
Mark
__________________
or ev waaaaa.

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:29 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
pj1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 2,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
It seems to me that the camera was set up too high and is pointing downward too far. Lower down and more horizontal and you would have gotten more water, maybe even a horizon. This shot is similar to the one with the girl in the field done with fisheye lens. She, being close, is not distorted while background has a nice shape to it. I think the same would apply here as long as you stayed close to the camera. What I dont like about this shot is the position you are in. Looks like you are sitting on the crapper.
Hi Bynx

Yes, I really do appreciate your direct feedback and constructive thoughts.

Indeed, the camera was pointing fairly much 'down' - which leads to additional distortion at the edges (as well as having it in the portrait orientation, emphasises this at the extreme top and bottom of such a photo).

So now I'm attaching another photo - and this photo is where the lens is pointing closer to the horizon, and also I'm further away (less 'near ultra wide angle less' distortion).

I do feel here there is an unnatural element - the top half of my body appears too elongated (too long, compared to my legs).

What you wrote about me 'sitting on the crapper' never occurred to me at the time, or when I was initially reviewing the photos- I guess I was conscious of how low I needed to be, and to 'smile nicely'.

Actually my pose was more like the 'proposing on one knee' style, but you're right it looks like I could be on an invisible toilet seat! Ha ha. See a third party viewing a photo is very important!

Paul
Attached Images
 
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:33 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
pj1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 2,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schent1 View Post
Hi Paul,

You have a great smile and look photogenic (Put me in the picture usually makes it worse). The landscape is nice but the angle of the self-portrait does not work for me ether, the wide angle makes you head look big. There is reddish color on your face like you have a bad sunburn. The sand in the circle of sea weed looks unusually bight compared with the rest of the beach.

Tom
Hi Tom

Wow, thanks for your kind compliment. I don't think I'm particularly photogenic... but your comment and that I have great smile is encouraging!

I do agree, as I was close to the lens, my head looks large in the photo.

It's interesting what you wrote about the red too, as I switched to posting in Google Chrome tonight, and WOW the 'red' / pink of my skin is much stronger in Google Chrome than in Mozilla Firefox (which I used previously). While I'm not (yet) so tanned (a fairly cool spring) - the cold wind hitting my face did maybe make my skin a little 'flustered' - however now as bad as the HDR exaggerated it, and maybe as it looks on some browsers.

Finally about the sand in the middle of the seaweed circle being lighter, yes I noticed that later too. I am quite sure this is a Photomatix / HDR effect as the 3 original photos don't have this. Maybe I need to tweak / play with some settings to see if I can eliminate it. I do know when sometimes doing shadow / highlight - a similar effect is created.

Really do appreciate your honest critique, Tom - thanks!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:36 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
pj1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 2,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condorman View Post
Hi Paul, Nice to see you, you look like your having a great time, good to see.
I like the landscape perspective. I am surprised at you using the wide angle for a portrait as you like pics to have a real look. Personally though I feel it has a fun distorted feel, it looks like you are sat on an invisible toilet and I like that, it makes me laugh. If that was the intention it's great fun. If it were me I would have probably tried it with a toilet roll in my hand as that would have made it really fun. I would put this on my digital picture frame as i bet it would grab attention and get some comments.
How wide is your lens Paul?
Nice long sandy beach and not a soul in sight.Great
Mark
Hello Mark

Indeed I was having a great time.

Normally I wouldn't use this combination of lens / setting / perspective to make a portrait, but that's why I posted on this forum - to get ideas / feedback, etc.

Next time I'll have to remember having a toilet roll in my hand, or maybe even better - some toilet paper hanging out from the back of my trousers!! ha ha. (the pose wasn't my intention, as I wrote above in response to Bynx's post).

The lens used is my Sigma 10-20mm lens, and once I get below about 16mm, the distortion and weird perspectives can really set in. I usually use the lens at 10mm, so that's really wide (16mm equivalent on 35mm format).

For a quick comparison, here is a photo taken in landscape orientation with my Canon 15-85mm lens, at 15mm.

Any thoughts?

Paul
Attached Images
 
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 9:34 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
fofa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 547
Default

These can be so subjective, but the last one, the wider perspective is the one I like the best, but not sure I can put my finger on it as much as it gives me a better feel for the overall feeling of the time and place. I also think if the clouds had a slighter darker, angry look it would give an overall better fell to it. And if you could have jumped out there and eliminated those foot prints (LOL).
fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:13 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
hkmp50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,370
Default

While I can't critique the effort Paul, I can say I will be needing a new christmas wreath this year, and you have found a likely candidate. LOL
__________________
The hardest part of accepting criticism is realizing I am not perfect.......
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:34 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Minneapolis MN, USA
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1974 View Post
It's interesting what you wrote about the red too, as I switched to posting in Google Chrome tonight, and WOW the 'red' / pink of my skin is much stronger in Google Chrome than in Mozilla Firefox (which I used previously). While I'm not (yet) so tanned (a fairly cool spring) - the cold wind hitting my face did maybe make my skin a little 'flustered' - however now as bad as the HDR exaggerated it, and maybe as it looks on some browsers.
Hi Paul,

After your comment about using Google Chrome, I compared Chrome to Window Explorer on my calibrated monitor and they both have the same red color on the face so I am not sure if it is related to the browser.

Of the three that you have posted, I like the last one best. You still look a little stiff in number three, but it is better than the hands in your pockets with number two. I wish I could give you some pointers on the posing aspect but that is something I need work on too.

Tom
schent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:54 PM.