Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:43 AM   #11

Thanks Ordo.

One problem when photographing Wendy is the color of her skin. She is very fair complected. During the summer she always wears make up with a high SPF to keep the sun from damaging her skin. So when she wears darker colors in a photograph, it's a color balance problem I haven't figured out yet.

I'd appreciate any solutions that you've used in the past with fair skinned subjects.

FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:45 AM   #12

I took another look, this time on my desktop computer, and can better see that the shadows are quite a bit darker than they looked on the laptop I was using last night.
The difficulty with generally brightening is ending up with hotspots. I did a bit of mid-tone lightening, followed by selecting her sweater and jeans, and applied some gamma correction there, followed by cropping.
Dark hair and fair complexion make for difficult lighting choices. With digital processing, though, we can do things that used to be impossible.

brian
Attached Images

VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:31 AM   #13

Default Wendy with stuff in background

I wasn't sure about the items in the background. I thought they detracted from this photo, so we moved them and took the shot again.

Do items in the background, such as items that are in our home, should be removed or can they be left in so it becomes a photo of the subject in their own environment?

Can you argue it both ways?

Thanks again!!
Michael
Attached Images

Old Nov 22, 2010, 1:10 PM   #14

It may not be entirely by the book, but the book is only a guideline anyway, as are most rules in photography. In the case above, none of the items directly impinge on the face and head, they are sufficiently OOF, and not brighter than the subject's face, so I would not consider them a problem. It has to be an a case by case basis - a silly clown photo in the b/g might not be appropriate here, but for a child portrait might work.
I seem to be noticing the WB doesn't appear consistent in this series - if you are changing exposure settings, the balance between room light, your strobes (?) and the outdoor light must be changing.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 1:23 PM   #15

VTphotog...

Thanks for your advice.

And yes, you can notice a WB change of sort. In some of the photos I was bouncing a secondary flash off a gold reflector in an attempt to warm up the lighting on her face.

I thought the results were so-so. It's a technique that I need to learn more about, obviously.

But I appreciate your keen eye.

Michael
Old Nov 22, 2010, 1:52 PM   #16

Foreground and background here are so distracting, also kind of an obvious blur filter pp. Her face is very much improved but the left hand is out of focus, not a good thing for a pianist pick.
Better lighting surely will help, as NHL advised, but the problem may really be composition. Look the lines and proportions implied in your pick. It is a mess.

Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:28 PM   #17

Ordo, did you write anything to go along with this post? I see the yellow lines, but I'm not sure what's on your mind.

Thanks!!
FP
Old Nov 23, 2010, 2:21 PM   #18

Default Hey moderators, I need some help

ewheeler appears to have copied and pasted something Ordo wrote to me. However, it's all in black and therefore I can't see it. I just happened to hilite it with my mouse and discovered the words. I am using the black color scheme. To my knowledge, this is the first time I couldn't see someone comments because it was black on black.

Is this a common problem when using the black color scheme?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
____
Foreground and background here are so distracting, also kind of an obvious blur filter pp. Her face is very much improved but the left hand is out of focus, not a good thing for a pianist pick.
Better lighting surely will help, as NHL advised, but the problem may really be composition. Look the lines and proportions implied in your pick.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 2:29 PM   #19

Ordo,

Please don't hear me arguing with you, I'm trying to better understand.

You wrote that the foreground and background are too distracting.

I was attempting to use the lid of our grand piano (and it supporting post) to serve a natural frame for the photo. Of course Wendy is the subject, but I was trying to include the piano in a less than normal view point.

I used a narrow depth of field (1.2f) so I'm not surprised that her hand is OOF. I was planning on that.

So I'm a little confused. It sound like you're saying that a) if it's in the photograph, it needs to be in focus. And b) if there's too much in the foreground or background, then the photo is too busy.

Last, the photo we're discussing is the photo with a wall hanging and some stuff sitting on a long table behind Wendy.

Again, I'm not arguing with you. It just seems that I'm either misunderstanding you or that I've misunderstood what other people have written about composition, dof and oof objects.

Is this a matter of preference or bad photography composition?

Thanks!!

Michael
Old Nov 23, 2010, 3:39 PM   #20
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfulPastor View Post
I used a narrow depth of field (1.2f) so I'm not surprised that her hand is OOF. I was planning on that...
This may be your entire problem!

-> Normally one does not shoot @ f/1.2 with strobes, and why the strobe is overpowering your wife fair skin. Studio shots main light usually starts at f/5.6 or f/8 so you can control the fill (~2-stop below)... You can then manage the OOF with PP, and trust me, your images will come out sharper and contrasty too.

What is the exposure like if you turn the speedlite off? As we may solve your WB issue as well.

Last edited by NHL; Nov 23, 2010 at 4:07 PM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote