Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 24, 2010, 9:34 PM   #1

Default Let's fish!

Okay, from my husband's work station...

He wanted me to take some shots of the lures he made. How is the presentation of the items? Too boring? I read somewhere in one of the posts that a simple solid back ground works best for showcasing items... is this true for what he wants for these?

How do I get good focus on photographing two at the same time? Did I get it right here?

Appreciate the feedback -

kailona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:14 AM   #2

I wonder if you can increase the F stop to get more depth of field...so the entire lure is in focus.

Perhaps taking some pictures against a black background may highlight the lens more.

BTW...very nice lures...I used to tie flies...but my flies didn't look as professional as those...great addition to lures...those fins behind the head...scales...very nice .proportions.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 6:39 AM   #3

I would like to see the whole lure, and all in perfect focus to appreciate the detail and artisany.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 8:19 PM   #4

I agree a smaller aperture would probably help. Give f/11 or smaller a try. Another possibility would be a bit darker backdrop, but that might cause the lures to be overexposed.
The lures look great, and should catch lots of fishermen. Maybe even fish.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:54 PM   #5

Very nice lures, similar to those used for Hawaii's big game. I agree with comments posted - smaller aperture to provide greater depth of field and a darker, neutral background (medium gray?). A common object (maybe a coin) to give scale would help.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 12:17 PM   #6

IDK if it helps or not, but playing around with close up and macro I have been using my grill table and natural sunlight. Havn't gotten fancy enough to make a light box yet. My grill table is black (well it was 6 years ago, now it's a dark gray I guess). But when I compared some of mine to what i see on white on the web, I sort of like the dark background more. Not sure how you would implement something like that in a light box however.
Attached Images

fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:10 PM   #7

thanks everyone for your feedback... I was thinking to try a darker background, but don't have anything at home. I will try again and change the fstop to smaller (larger number right) then see how that goes. will post "take 2" retakes once done.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:08 AM   #8

OH NO!!! can't retake pics cause they were used to catch these guys! At least they work. ha ha ha. But I will for sure take pics of his new ones once completed.... on a darker background this time! happy fishing everyone!

Old Nov 30, 2010, 5:42 AM   #9

Wow, Kaku and Ono! Congrats for the catch. Good eating too.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 9:44 AM   #10

Keep the lure at right angles to the axis of the lens so all parts of it are the same distance from the camera. Or at least a smaller angle than you used and (as brian noted) a smaller aperture (larger f/number) will help as well.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote