Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 26, 2010, 12:50 PM   #1

Default New To Photography.

Hi folks,I'm fromScotland and new to photography and this site.. and I must say what a great site it is too.....My background is in music production so I know all about the learning curve but truth be told, I really don't know a good pic from a bad one so I am eager for advice and criticism...Hre's a pic I like to look at BUT is it any good?
Please help me to learn..and thanks for taking the time..

PS...I used a Canon 550d with a Tamron Wide Lens and the pis is straight out of the camera..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kicky777/5207984957/
Kicky777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2010, 5:16 PM   #2

for me, i dont want too much symmetry in my photos. The tree is right in the center of the frame. There is a lot of empty space on the left and right with not much going on.
Thanks being said, it is technically shot as a nice silhouette.

photos are subjective. All of them. Some appeal to more of the masses then others, but it honestly is a matter of taste. What is important at this stage of your photography, is that YOU like it.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 6:41 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Welcome to Steve's. How is the snow up there, here (in Devon) we are meant to get some this weekend!!

A good starting shot. I agree about the centred shot, but it's not always an issue. For me one of the most distracting elements is the black foreground. I would personally lose the left side and also the bottom to make it a more pleasing crop.

Looking forward to seeing some more from you.

Mark

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 9:24 AM   #4

Lots to like with this shot. I normally like my pictures more symmetrical than is probably deemed acceptable by good art sense. But agree that there's too much around the tree to really work. I find its interesting that Mark suggested losing the left side - I like the horizon light on that side so my thought would be to crop the right (and bottom, so you have less empty space there), leaving the light and tree leaning into it. Maybe that's because I like things more symmetrical? In any case, a very pleasing shot to start with!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 1:06 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies folks and Mark, here in Central Scotland we missed the snow till last night but it's pretty bad now..When I think about this pic and what you say about it,I think I may have been seduced by the colour of the blue sky..It is quiet a turn on for a newbie..Couple of questions for you...How does cropping affect the actual size of the pic..Does it make it smaller?Also I am thinking of getting Elements 9..Do I need it?is it any good..and is there any way to get informed by e mail when I get a reply on a topic?

Thanks again..Stewart..
Old Nov 27, 2010, 8:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicky777 View Post
...is there any way to get informed by e mail when I get a reply on a topic?

Thanks again..Stewart..
Go to the top of this page and click on "Thread Tools"... Select "Subscribe to this Tread"
from the drop down menu... On the page that you are taken to choose "Email Notification"
and then choose "Add Subscription"...

Later, to find your "Subscribed Threads" simply click on "Quick Links" at the top of any page
and choose "Subscribed Threads" from the drop down menu...

Hope that helps...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 9:59 PM   #7

when you crop a photo, it will make the file size smaller. But the program you use to 'crop' will then increase the cropped portion of your photo so it appears to be the same size as your original. Be careful though... the more you crop, the worse the quality of the photo.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:05 PM   #8

this is how i would have cropped it:

Although, I actually like this better in B&W:
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
when you crop a photo, it will make the file size smaller. But the program you use to 'crop' will then increase the cropped portion of your photo so it appears to be the same size as your original. Be careful though... the more you crop, the worse the quality of the photo.
As long as the image you are looking at is 72 dpi then what you see is what you get because your monitor only displays in 72 dpi while your image could be 300 dpi resulting in a huge image which reduces to fit the screen.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:27 AM   #10

Thanks for the replies ,I have the E Mail thingy sorted now and Eric that looks a whole lot better...one more question if you don't mind..How do you get the pic directly onto the post???Like Eric did..

Stewart...