Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:19 PM   #1

Default Still plug'n away....

Trying to get her beads represented in the best, er....light, still.
A few I posted today. Trying to clean up the general environment, and give detail and color, a task of compromising thus far.

Here is my wife at her work station (torch) where she does the actual sculpting. She has other tables were she crafts the bead into jewelry.

A few from today......

the back of one of her owls....remember, these guys are about 1/2 inch high is all, and every color she has to add individually.....while keeping the bead hot, but not so much where it melts all the sculpting she has done thus far....tricky, you have to know, you can't measure with a thermometer.

Even this cat climbing the Christmas tree is under an inch.....

As always, appreciate any feedback and thoughts on how I can represent and market her work better!

THANKS!!!!!
eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:58 PM   #2

well, i do like the last product photos more than first 3. That is because of the rock in the background. As you have heard from a few of us before on this forum, i believe a plain white-ish background is better to accentuate the intricacy and colors of the art.

she does amazing work!
Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
well, i do like the last product photos more than first 3. That is because of the rock in the background. As you have heard from a few of us before on this forum, i believe a plain white-ish background is better to accentuate the intricacy and colors of the art.

she does amazing work!
Thank you Eric....I have tried just plain white, it comes out so "catalog" looking, plain and flat. I still feel, but again, a strictly amateur feeling of no training, when I put something else into the frame, it lends it depth, which spills over to the subject, giving it a little bit of contour...I dunno.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:23 AM   #4

Your wife's got some talent their. Beautiful work. Does she ever burn her fingers?

As mentioned above I would try to eliminate the background distraction. Maybe you could try some plexiglass on a wood table with a solid color (dark) background.

Just a thought.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 1:18 AM   #5

After reading and seeing I can tell what she is doing...before then I looked at the first two and couldn't figure it out. If she had something in front of her that was a solid color while you shot over her shoulder so you can 'see' the object in her hand, would be so much cooler.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 1:57 AM   #6

Thanks all for the replies......
I'm thinking perhaps if I gave you a link to a finished product by her, at her site, you could then see exactly what it is I do. I do the commentary (write the text) edit the photos, and publish to the site when I have it all together. I then do the shipping too as they sell. This is just one of 3 sites, and she has 2 boutiques (stores) that feature her stuff too. A very busy lady.
Look in here and see what you think, and PLEASE tell what, me if you'll be so kind

http://www.etsy.com/listing/63175549...focal-bead-sra
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:34 AM   #7

Each of those little glass beads is a work of art. You dont need any distractions at all competing for the delicate details that have gone into their creation. Here is a setup I did just now with a roll of aluminum foil. It was draped over a digital photo frame which was angled back slightly. There was no sharp corners the foil just curved to the table top and hung over the edge. I shot a dice since its about the same size as a bead. It gives a nice reflection, and the background I left it dark to show up the white dice better. But that background can be any color or lighting you want just by shining whatever onto it. All there is in the image is reflections from the foil and the dice. I left the foil smooth. Maybe crinkliing it up for the background would be better to give an abstract lighting when applied. The nice thing about this setup is that it is consistant and easy to do shot after shot. No fuss, no mess.
Attached Images

Bynx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:44 AM   #8

Cool idea Bynx.....thanks!
Old Nov 29, 2010, 11:43 PM   #9

I've looked at all your other attempts at this and I think your getting better with each one. Your wife defiantly has a lot steadier hand then me. :-) I really like the idea bynx looking forward to seeing if you give that a shot.

P.S. I'm sure everyone has different taste, but tell your wife that owl is AWESOME

flickr
kev83202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 1:49 AM   #10

great idea! would you mind if i used it?.....
kailona is offline   Reply With Quote