Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:10 PM   #111

Nice job Billy. Nice 3D look.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 7:44 PM   #112

Default 3D Chrysanthymums.

The 3D effect doesnt work that well so those of you who cant see it you arent missing anything.
Attached Images

Old Feb 10, 2011, 5:15 PM   #113

Finally got it by moving my head back from the monitor by 2.5 to 3 feet. Really came out great. Now I'm going to try to replicate this with some landscape shots.
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 6:20 PM   #114

The thing about 3D shooting is the images should be fairly close to get the effect. But looking forward to seeing whatever you come up with.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 4:05 PM   #115

Ok, I just stumbled upon this thread, and I'm loving it. I've seen this before, but you guys have actually simplified it for me, as far as how to easily produce the effect. I really thought there was more to it, and you needed precise calculations! I used to love solving the Magic Eye pictures.

The images in this thread are stunning, particularly the shots of New York. I grabbed my camera to try my hand at it on a baby tripod. Very slight 3D effect, but it turned out pretty good for just 2 quick shots. I'm very excited to get out and try this with some "real" subjects!

Here is mine:

3-D by SteveEJohnson, on Flickr
Pure Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:14 PM   #116

Everything seems to be right except I dont really see a 3D image. I think this is because everything is so far from the camera and the camera wasnt moved far enough in a lateral move. There was a chart I saw once which I have since been unable to find. It stated the lateral movement based on the distance to the subject. Macro shots work well showing the 3D effect. I certainly encourage you to keep at this. Try moving the camera further under the same conditions as you posted.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:49 PM   #117

Thanks for the feedback, I'm really interested in playing around with this more. Here's another quick one I made, I think it's a little better than the previous, and certainly a more "dimensional" subject:

84 on left by SteveEJohnson, on Flickr
Pure Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 9:39 PM   #118

Yes I can see more 3D effect to this one. Im thinking if the whole plant was in focus that the effect would be even more prominent. That one in bottom left corner would be poking right out of the frame. On another note before you post the pics you should crop the extra bit on the sides that is extra and not part of both image. Whatever doesnt overlap for the 3D image should be cut off. The pic on the right should have the right side cut off to match the right side of the left pic. At the same time the left side of the left pic should be cut off to match the left side of the right pic.. Make sense?

I just did a couple of 3D I was meaning to do for a while. The flower is definately more 3D looking. Close macro shots of flowers works really well.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bynx; Feb 22, 2011 at 10:33 PM.