Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 3, 2010, 4:58 PM   #11

I just learned to day that there are two ways of assembling these images. As assembled here these are for viewing by crossing your eyes to see the 3D image. The other way is to switch images so right is left and left is right. This is for viewing with a viewer for those unable to cross their eyes. So if you arent able to see a proper 3D image then that might be the reason.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 5:40 PM   #12

Yes, it works phenomenally well. The amount of 3D effect with the first one is hard to believe. Better than any 3D effect Ive experienced so far from comic books to movies (eg, Journey to the Center of the Earth).

The only issue with the second one (perhaps) is that (at least on my monitor) there is a lot of black with some of the low light detail not being separated out well. (Probably an LCD black level details issue.)

The few times in the past Ive seen these, a colored reference dot (eg, green) has been placed in each panel & the viewer is instructed to ensure that the two dots coincide.

I wonder if there is some way to also achieve such effect using say some kind of lens (Fresnel or polarized sheet?). Also, if there is some way to put the images closer together then that might help reduce eye strain. Also, is it possible to strobe offset panels alternately on a monitor (eg, 25 cycle) and let the brain/mind build the composite? (Like a motion picture camera effect.)

Just some thoughts.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 8:03 PM   #13

The second shot with KIZZ was lit from the side with a bare 60 watt light. I should have bounced some light on the front with a mirror. So its too black with no detail. For those who have difficulty crossing their eyes at will you can reverse the images and use some kind of viewer like the old Stereoscopes from the 1890s. Each eye can only see one image since there is a divider between the two images. But for me, its cheaper just to cross them than to have to print out a sheet and buy or build a viewer. Although as I type this out I think a viewer wouldnt be a bad idea. Then you could view them without any eye strain.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 1:09 PM   #14

Here is a web address that has the best (free) software for assembling 3D images. Both win and mac.

http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr
Old Dec 4, 2010, 4:42 PM   #15

Bynx that is soooo cool. I find it works best for me when my eyes are about 24 inches from the screen. Too close and it doesn't work also the same for too far away! Great effect. Thanks for shareing this My grandchildren will appreciate it very much Frank
Old Dec 4, 2010, 4:45 PM   #16

Thanks for the link also This is going to be fun!!!!! Frank
Old Dec 8, 2010, 5:28 PM   #17

I hope this thread doesnt die. This 3D imaging is so much fun and easy and produces incredible lifelike images.
Attached Images

Old Dec 8, 2010, 10:15 PM   #18

To all people looking at these images please just state whether or not you are able to see the 3D image. Some people are unable to do it.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:48 AM   #19

im trying bynx .... the last image sort of works better than the first
Old Dec 9, 2010, 8:41 AM   #20

That is an amazing trick. I wonder if it would work on landscapes. Manhattan skyscrapers might be nice with the vertical lines.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote