Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:09 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
...And last night, I felt nauseous going home after staring at your 3-D balcony...
I didn't become nauseous, but had a rough night after looking at Bynx'es 3D-shots. A night with little sleep but lots of nightmares about my crossed eyes not becoming uncrossed...

Bynx, you have certainly made a lasting impression with your 3D-stuff...

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:45 PM   #32

These are a wonderful attempt at creating a 3D effect. Two things are needed for a true 3D photo. The photos need to be taken of the same identical subject and for best effect need to be taken at different times of the day so that the shadows cast are different. It is also easier to see the stereo effect if the images are separated by about the same distance as your eye are separated in you head, about 3 to 4 inches. Otherwise you need to spread your eyes so far apart that you risk looking like the late Marty Feldman. I have viewed stereo pair photos since college, (back when Lincoln was still President.) The best method, though not all can master it, is to look past the subject. The goal is to try and get your eyes to look in parallel with each other not converging as is the normal way we view objects. Crossing your eyes can definitely work but causes quite a bit of eye strain. It is much easier to relax the muscles of your eyes and just let them both gaze off into the distance. Just like when we are day dreaming and not really mentally focusing on anything.
I was able to see the 3D effect best only after i copied the images and pasted them into a viewer program and reduced the sizes so that the images were only about 4 inches across. I was not able to see the 3D on my 20 inch monitor at all.

Sorry for rambling on. I do like the technique, It's pretty cool and does a pretty good job of replicating a 3D effect.

Last edited by smac; Dec 10, 2010 at 1:48 PM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 2:14 PM   #33

Bynx.

With all the people who have problems with this exercise I am starting to feel a little weird, as I have had no trouble getting the effect with all of your post. Maybe I am so narrow minded that the images have less distance to cover?????I donn't know but it is definately worth a stickie on the page as it is a process that is easy enough to do, and the fun factor is is around 9.9 out of 10... Thanks again for sharing this as it is something that will be used or a long time..... Frank
Old Dec 10, 2010, 3:24 PM   #34

I have some 3 d glasses I will have to dig out from where ever they walked off to! I let ya know how it goes when I find them!
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 3:49 PM   #35

I agree with Frank about the fun factor and the technique's timelessness. So much so that I went out today and took this picture of Grand Central Terminal.

I guess my question is, can a spread be too far apart? I had a distance of a few feet between the two shots as there were constantly people on the railing where I mount my gorillapod. I also didn't want to monopolize the near-center spot to allow tourists to snap their souvenir photos. So I basically shot these two off the extreme ends of the marble railing. Please let me know how I did.

vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 5:06 PM   #36

I couldnt see the image right so I exchanged the images left to right right to left. Now it works but unfortunately all those ghosted people just interfere with the effect. This would work better if there were less people and those people were stationery.
Attached Images

Bynx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:07 PM   #37

Hummmmm. I see no diference between the two, both have people a little blurry, but the building is 3-d in both sets. My wife has told me I look at life from a skewed viewpoint, maybe she was right after all..... Frank
Old Dec 10, 2010, 9:21 PM   #38

They are almost similar. But for me after changing positions the central kiosk with the clock comes into 3D. With Billy's original post the clock doesnt become one but stays as two images.
Bynx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 9:32 PM   #39

Thanks a lot, Paul. I'm glad you spotted that -- I could never focus on the clock at center until you reversed the images. I think for 3-D to work properly I had to reverse the images, that is, the left goes to the right and the right goes to the left.

Here's another one of Times Square. I doctored the flashing jumbotrons a bit so they show the same images left and right.

vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:21 PM   #40

Well yes now that I look at the kiosk, I see your point Bynx. I had origionally just focused on the whole room and it had the depth I was looking for. The focus on the kiosk is as you have pointed out, not in focus in the first and in focus on the second.

It works well on the city scape also This is really cool! My grand children can't get enough of this and are saying "are there more? can you show us another one WOW, that really looks sweet!" Thanks you guys for the entertainment factor that results from this interesting project! Frank

Last edited by hkmp50; Dec 10, 2010 at 11:30 PM.
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote