Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 12, 2010, 9:28 AM   #51

Excellent ones Billy. All easy to see.
Bubba J in 3D without the need for crossing your eyes http://www.start3d.com/en/7142078259...90613742858126
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:54 AM   #52

Cool website, Paul. I should try uploading some of mine.

I took these stereo pictures this morning in Times Square. This is a lot of fun. [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/carpiov/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]Except for the eye strain. I have to rest my eyes for a while...

vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 2:10 PM   #53

Bynx! Your Bubba J closeup is incredible good 3D!! The best yet.

Vvcarpio! - I have looked at your landscape-shots as well, and it takes some time to get my eyes crossed enough to actually see the 3D, even though I managed the playground with the kiddy-slide well, the other ones are more difficult.

I am getting really intrigued about this. Can you give me a step-by-step procedure of what you do when setting up your tripod for your 3D landscape-shots?
Do you actually pick up, and move the whole tripod for your second shot, or do you have some kind of a sliding-bar to slide the camera on...? How much (inches oc cm) exactly do you differentiate between the two shot?

Sure would like to know and try this out myself..

Thanx guys!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:48 PM   #54

Hi, Walter. Yes, I lift my whole tripod and move it sideways. I think you only need to move the distance between your eyes --about 3 inches -- but I overdo it because I'm afraid I might waste my shots (and my trip) if the 3-D effect isn't noticeable.

In some cases the ground is not level. In my shots at the lake, for example, my tripod was planted on grass on top of uneven soil. Even the pavement at Times Square isn't level. So the pair of shots I take don't have the same horizon leveling. To fix I use CS3's lens distortion to rotate one of the images to align with the other.

I basically create a duplicate layer on the first image, copy-and-paste it on the second image, then set opacity to something like 50% so I can see both images, one on top of the other. I then do my horizon alignment.

I hope this helps. It's a lot of fun. A lot of my friends enjoy looking at my 3-D stereoscopes. (I post a link here to see how it's done.) Thanks to Mr. Claus, I mean, Bynx, for the early Christmas present.

Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:00 PM   #55

That fountain is awesome Billy. When there is an object visible in only 1 frame it doesnt allow your eyes to see it as 3D but it sort of pulses. Like the bluish back of the chair in the lower right corner. A complete lateral move 4 inches is all that is needed. Now I dont know about keeping the center of the viewscreen on the same point in both shots. When we look at something both our eyes are always looking at the same thing at the same time so maybe the camera lens should do the same. So if you move the camera laterally 4 inches then keep the center spot on the same spot of your image. Also another thing to consider is the width of the images. The wider they are the more you have to cross your eyes to see the 3D image. Something to consider. Also when you have everything lined up for final photoshop image crop off the sides of the extra image area. They will just pulse if left in. And it helps cut down on the cross eyes to see the image. Looking forward to seeing something from you Walter. Oh, I did find a site which gave the distance the camera should move laterally dependent on the distance of the subject from the camera. I dont know why there would be more than the width of our eyes, but there was a graph. I will try to find it again and post the link.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:31 PM   #56

Now If you could only come up with a viewer......

Still working, but these last ones were a little harder VV. I do not understand why, maybe too many things to focus on, but I eventually managed.

Still a viewer that is hand held that you can look through, at the computer screen and render the images would be a hit!!!
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:22 PM   #57

Thanks, Paul. Yes, that will be awesome, hkmp50. I hope that can be done cheaply -- I already have my stereo pics.

In the pics below I tapered off the edges that don't repeat. To reduce eye strain, I also sit farther away from the monitor to reduce the angle of crossing my eyes.

Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:53 PM   #58

Your last shot there is still 3D but not much to see in that 3D. Just the post and sign on the left, small garbage bin and two short yellow posts. For the most part its all pretty flat. Trimming off that excess really helps keep the 3D image locked in. These are coming along pretty good. Cant wait to see some more. Ive learned of two houses in Pickering who are vying for some award for most decorated with Xmas lights. They are side by side and have put up many thousands of lights each. Im hoping for some great 3D stuff as well as HDR. Stay tuned. This cross eyed way of posting the pics is not the only way. There are other ways to view 3D images. One is called Parallel viewing. Another is with a viewer, and another way is going red and blue which require those cheap glasses that they offer in newspapers from time to time so you can watch a special 3D movie on tv. One lens is blue and one is red. I think this drives my eyes nuts moreso than cross eyed viewing.

Last edited by Bynx; Dec 13, 2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:43 AM   #59

Thanx to the both of you, vvcarpio and Bynx, for providing me with the essentials for 3D.

The fountain-pix in #54 is pretty spectacular, vvcarpio! Very strong 3D, indeed.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 9:37 AM   #60

Walter, did you go to that link I posted in #51? Its a different way to see a 3D image. The site takes your two shots and somehow makes them rock from side to side so you can see the effect without crossing your eyes or using a viewer.