Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:47 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Walter, did you go to that link I posted in #51? Its a different way to see a 3D image. The site takes your two shots and somehow makes them rock from side to side so you can see the effect without crossing your eyes or using a viewer.
Yeah, thank you Bynx - I saw it and I was quite amazed with this technology. Your Bubba J was terriffic on this site! I didn't understand the slider-scale underneath the picture itself though - what function does it have?

I did chang the posistion of the slider a few times (left / right) but nothing seemed to change with Bubba J.

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 3:17 PM   #62

Its a little movie of some kind. The slider just selects which frame you want to look at. Notice when you press PAUSE the slider is at a particular position.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 3:51 PM   #63

Paul, my wife took stereo pictures of our living room and I thought the reflections on the glass surfaces looked cool -- they had a depth of their own. So I took the photo of the John Lennon wall hoping to achieve the same effect with the reflections of the lights from the building across the street. I guess they weren't prominent enough as to be the first things you'd notice.

I took this photo this morning at Bryant Park.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 4:01 PM   #64

This is a really cool 3D Billy. That garbage bin down front, the railings everything really shows that depth.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 4:51 AM   #65

Excellent technique! How do you take the two photos, in practical terms? Do you use a tripod? And then, you move the whole thing 5cm to the right? And how can you have the objects in the same place inside the frame? Maybe this does not matter...My first attempt was not very neat, the object was higher, leaning to one side, I had to crop and rearrange them in PhotoShop etc...Any suggestions will be very helpfull!alexander
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 5:12 AM   #66

I would think being on a tripod would be best. Then when you move the tripod 4 inches or so to the left or right there wont be any additional distortion like a twist in the camera if done by hand. You are simply trying to duplicate how your eyes work. They see a slightly different image at the same time and your brain assembles it.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 7:27 AM   #67

Hi, kibaris. I lift the whole tripod (or gorillapod) and move to the right. (In our living room, my wife just used a tabletop and glided the camera on its surface left and right. No tripod.) During post-processing, I crop off some to the left of one picture and some to the right of the other picture so they'll be roughly identical in centering the scene. I keep that in mind when I shoot -- that some portion on the left and right will be lost -- so I frame wide.

Hanging light at the New York Public Library's (Astor) main stairwell, northern side.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 7:27 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
This is a really cool 3D Billy. That garbage bin down front, the railings everything really shows that depth.
Thanks, Paul.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 7:31 AM   #69

Actually, once you get the hang of it, you can achieve the 3-D effect quite effortlessly & without much discomfort at all. For a static PIX, it is more convienient than using glasses.

Over the weekend we toured Hoover Dam & it would be interesting to see something like that attempted in 3-D.

Last edited by sdromel; Dec 15, 2010 at 7:33 AM. Reason: typos
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 7:41 AM   #70

I had a quick go at a pseudo-HDR version - just two images separately passed through AutoHDR:

MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote